Tuesday, May 7, 2013

You know what they say: eliminate the middle man.....lol

"Hello", old friends. Had so many computer crashes, I'm unable to climb out of the hole to find you and figure out how to write. Rosey, has been so nice to repost to you all.   (There's no charge for reposting...smiling, Rosey)

I gave up quilting in 05' took up knitting, spinning and learning to weave. Worked a few days a week at a local yarn store. Best job ever, could walk to work and earned $$for yarn, classes etc.  Then a Pfaff shop came to town....oh I was won over by the macine "something #4". I fell in love and in 2010 took quilting back up again and still knit socks for my family.  
NOW MY QUESTION, I HAVE NOT WASHED MY FABRIC, AND FIND NOW MY FINGERS FROM HAND STITCHING ARE ALERGIC TO THE FABIC, any one else have this problem??  (note from Rosey:  it's all the chemicals in our cloth.  Jeff Gutcheon said years ago, when I was so reactive, that cloth is one big chemical bath from beginning to end).

My son divorced, crushed our family. I still am close to Lynette, she has moved on and met a very nice fellow. Good story here:   A young man came to our house to install yet another computer failer. (LOL) and when he left, I told the Silver Fox, "Wow he would be perfect for Nette"...a few months go by and she is having trouble moving on, picking wrong types of guys... I told her "STAND STILL', LET THE FELLOWS COME TO YOU"! She did and met someone. I told both her and son, date 6 mos before bringing them around for us to meet.    WELL GUESS WHAT, she stood still and who showed up the "cable guy". When we took them out for her birthday, he later told Nette, "I know those folks, they are super nice". How life has it's turns.   Now to have Son settled. He is out of the Sheriff's department and working for the Distict Attorney's office. Keeping busy and dealing with the "bad" guys.

We had Rosemary from England(dodo) and her DH over in 09, Fran and Graham, came last October for a visit. Such fun times with both familes.  I'm still with the Sis group that Val started ages ago. We have keep in touch.  
Think of some of you I have met at Quilt shows, or the thoughtful messege or giving of a gift that had been sent to me. I love my heart quilts for my Mother in 2000, and Grandpa in May of 05. I think that was the last quilt I finished and then stopped for awhile.
I can be reached at oteribare@yahoo.com,
Hugs, Terer

4 Comments:

At May 7, 2013 at 7:30 PM , Blogger Sara in Florida said...

You could put rubber gloves on and put the fabric in the washing machine in batches. Lights, darks, reds, etc.
I had some trouble with a batik being hard as a board, and washed it 2 times in warm water. The second time I put Arm & Hammer washing soda in also. When I put it in the dryer I put 2 fabric softer sheets with it. (this was a 4 yard piece)
Or, if your DH is helpful he could do it for you!
Sara in Fla.

 
At May 8, 2013 at 9:04 AM , Blogger terter said...

Third try to leave a comment, hello and happy quilting today.

 
At May 8, 2013 at 11:33 AM , Blogger Marge said...

I too am allergic to the fabric and wash every bit I buy. batiks are the worst and do not work with them very often. Can't use rubber gloves as I a have a terrible reaction to Latex. But have learned to live with my problem. Marge in Pa.

 
At May 8, 2013 at 8:40 PM , Blogger RoseyP said...

I don't think quilters realize how much finish is put into cloth and since we work with it frequently and for years, some of us do end up with what appears to be an allergic response to other things. I am living in the country now (25 yrs) because I had a severe reaction to anesthetics in 1985 and became very toxic following that. But the fact is, I taught quiltmaking for a decade both in my home studio and other facilities and it was during the decade when polyester/cotton was being used in quiltmaking...100% cotton was very hard to find. So, with the steam iron being used by myself and ten students each class, three classes a week, 8 to 10 weeks duration, three sessions per year, I was exposed to a lot of polyester/cotton cloth fumes through the steam iron. About four or five years into teaching quilting, I found that by the end of each class I would be shaking...although I didn't know at the time, I was experiencing an allergic reaction. I knew that I was not nervous teaching because I'd attended teacher's college and was comfortable teaching. So, it had to be something else. I just didn't know what. I found getting out after each class and walking for a half hour helped stopped my trembling, even the class that ended at 10 at night. I was slowly making myself toxic through inhaling the fumes off the steam iron from my cloth. Once the 100% cotton came back on the market in the early '80's, it came back not as the old 100% cotton but as a version of what the polycotton provided...no wrinkles. Chemicals are imbedded into our cotton cloth now so that we don't experience wrinkling as in the 1960's 100% cotton cloth. People don't like wrinkles. So textile converters, which is who do all the finishing work from the greige cloth stage, end up putting in chemical resins that last the lifetime of that cloth. no amount of washing is going to completely remove those resins. It is no wonder that quilters end up with allergies, sensitivies, etc. My finger nails are a mess. I feel it's from handling cloth for fifty years. The problem is, it's hard to pin down what causes it because people think cloth is benign. It isn't. Doctors haven't a clue about what is in cloth and so they end up treating the allergy type of response as an allergy...it's more a sensitivity.
Rosey

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home