Wednesday, March 27, 2013

this & that

I see on the other board that some of us are losing the quilting bug.  Well, I've lost the DIY bug.  In years past I have painted walls, doors, made crafts, etc.  Now I decided that I only have so many hours in the day and so much energy.  I'd rather spend my time reading and quilting.
So, I have 2 painters here --one doing the front door, one doing the back door.  The back had some wood rot, which was fixed 2 weeks ago, and they are simply painting it the same shade of brown.  The front is being transformed from traditional bottle green to a brick red.  (or maybe just a shade brighter than brick).  Yes, I could do it, but I'd rather quilt.  Besides it is hard on the knees and back to do all that.
Doris- I think I enhaled enough paint fumes to give me a headach.  That with the pollen.  This has been an especially bad year for pollen.  I know that one of the reasons the VOC's were removed from most paints is the poision factor.  The spray paint still has the VOCs.
I have the "tree 'o life" quilt top in the dryer.  the top is finished except for puting on some yo-yo's for the flowers.  Am meeting a GF at Jo-Ann's tomorrow for her to pick out fabric for her daughter's T shirt quilt.  Will try to find backing for the tree also.
Getting ready for Easter here.  Going to break the bank and buy a Honeybaked Ham.  DH wants it, and he is the $$ person, so I'll not put up a fight.  Been having a hard time with Mom lately, she has this "fake cry" when she sits on the potty chair, when a CNA doesn't come help her fast enough.  The few times I've tried to clean her up I've made more of a mess.  So, today she had to sit there for 6 or 7 min. waiting for help.  She was a total drama queen about it.
I bought her a few new night gowns, a robe, and some new blouses to replace the old polyester double knit things with food stains.  Had her change into the new PJ set, and she was happy when I left.  Wanted her to go to Easter church, but it is too much for her.  Last Easter we were in the ER for 8 hrs. when she fell.
So, if I don't post again,, happy Easter!  Spring will come some time.
Sara in fla.

1 Comments:

At March 28, 2013 at 5:50 AM , Blogger RoseyP said...

Sara, so often we forget about our elders and older people. They fade into the woodwork of society and of our lives. They often become a burden, grown-up people in body; sometimes reverting to a child's mind. We forget, because we haven't experienced this ourselves, the helplessness of a body that does not function as it used to and the frustration that occurs because of it. We don't feel as an older person does, because we are not yet there ourselves. It is not a 'fake cry' that you are hearing from your mother but that of an adult subjected to the deterioration of her body and the indignities this inflicts on her. Old age can be a demanding age on younger people. We try to understand; we empathize but we truly do not know what it is like to experience old age and all that goes with it until we are there ourselves.

For the past eight years I have volunteered for an organization called Telecheck. You can find it on the internet if you wish. I have spoken, over the telephone, weekly, to a clientel of over one hundred seniors (of which I am one) every Monday morning. I hear their stories; I hear of their illnesses; I hear of their loneliness; I hear of their frustrations and then, too, I hear of their deaths.

As my mother-in-law used to say and as many have said: growing old is not for sissies.

RoseyP, in Canada

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home