Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Royal Icing

Sara - After your post inquiring about Royal Icing, I "Googled" it and found some recipes.  I made cookies yesterday, and they are a type that need icing.   I bought some powdered egg whites (so I would not have to worry over salmonella from real raw eggs) and whipped up a batch.  Martha Stewart I am not!   It was not quite a success, mostly because the powdered egg whites wouldn't whip up all foamy, into a meringue.   That's okay.  I won't be Martha Stewart and I'll bet she doesn't sew quite like I do.   ;o)

Okay, ladies, here is another recipe for you. (NOT the royal icing project mentioned above)  I made these yesterday and brought them to the golf league today, where we assemble platters of cookies for all the club employees.  It's an annual tradition they look forward to.


CEREAL WREATH COOKIES
30 regular size marshmallows from 10-oz package*
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon green food coloring
4 cups cornflakes

Small candies, such as red Decors, for the berries
Combine marshmallows, butter, vanilla, and food coloring in top of a double boiler**.

Heat over simmering water until marshmallows and butter are melted, stirring frequently, until no streaks of white remain. Gently stir in cornflakes, a little at a time. Remove from heat.
Spray PAM on fingertips, to prevent sticking to fingers. On a non-stick surface like cookie sheet or waxed paper, shape cereal into wreaths. Place red cinnamon Decors on wreaths as you make each one, before marshmallow hardens. Allow cookies to cool.
* I prefer Kraft Jet-puffed marshmallows over Campfire brand. For some reason, the Kraft mixture is always easier to handle.
** I use a heavy pot over LOW heat, instead of double boiler, just like I do for Rice Krispie Treats.




3 Comments:

At December 13, 2012 at 2:55 PM , Blogger Marion in NZ. said...

Doris, the wreaths are SO PRETTY !! I must try to make some myself. Just what's needed to brighten up a plate of shortbread ! Thanks for posting the photo and the recipe.

 
At December 14, 2012 at 3:02 AM , Blogger Bee said...

I agree Marion, they do look so yummy.I must try them on my mince pies.

 
At December 14, 2012 at 3:43 PM , Blogger Marion in NZ. said...

Well Doris.....I made them and they do LOOK pretty but they are very sticky ! Maybe the marshmellows here are different ...Anyway. I shall use them to decorate the plates and people can eat or not eat as they please...!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home