Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Autumn Colours

This is our autumn view over the valley at the east end of our country property.  The yellow flowers I'm told are not golden rod but another, which I can't remember; the purple asters accompany the deep yellow ochre flowers at this time of year and are our last wildflowers of the season.  After than, we slip into a very achromatic colour scheme and whites, greys, browns become the norm.  Autumn has been beautiful so far and will hopefully last until late October before our first snowfall or heavy frost.

Louise Penny's latest book is THE BEAUTIFUL MYSTERY and has even gone into its 7th printing!   It is on the New York Times list, #2, I believe.  It's set in a monastry in Quebec and as usual, the mystery, while the focal point of the story, takes its place with the human dynamics of each individual character with a twist at the end, which left me disappointed in one character but which will lead the author into her eighth book, like a thread left untied, each book is a continuance in a sense in the character development of each of her main characters.  I enjoyed it very much.  Louise Penny's books are not a quick read.  Many of her descriptive senstences need to be savored.
Rosey




6 Comments:

At October 2, 2012 at 2:37 PM , Blogger Kathi in Idaho said...

I love the fall colors, Rosey...so much that I've set your picture as the fal background picture for my desktop.

Kathi

 
At October 2, 2012 at 2:38 PM , Blogger Kathi in Idaho said...

That should be "fall".

 
At October 2, 2012 at 8:05 PM , Blogger RoseyP said...

Kathi, my fingers go faster than my brain.
I think it's a lovely picture but you've been here so it would mean more to you than someone else.
Rosey

 
At October 2, 2012 at 8:46 PM , Blogger Mary in Oregon said...

Lovely picture, Rosey! Thanks.

Just finished The Beautiful Mystery by Louise Penny. Her books are so well written, pure joy to read. I too was disappointed with one of the characters. Hope things straighten out in her next book.

Mary in Oregon

 
At October 3, 2012 at 4:30 AM , Blogger RoseyP said...

Mary, I get so wrapped up in Louise Penny's characters that I almost felt like the one character's disappointing behaviour was a personal affront to me...(smile). I couldn't believe it and kept hoping as I turned the pages of the book towards the end that the character would make a better choice of behaviour but I guess that Louise is leading us into her next book where we will perhaps gain some understanding of the flaws of human nature and hopefully this will resolve itself somehow but I felt disaster loomed ahead for this character. Her writing is, as you say, rich and good.
The fire quilts are really something. Kathi has been keeping us posted on the fires in Idaho.
Rosey

 
At October 3, 2012 at 4:35 PM , Blogger Kathi in Idaho said...

Now I can't wait for the library to get this one in. Thanks for not telling us which character, but I'll be impatiently waiting to see if I agree with both of you.

Kathi

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home