Wednesday, September 12, 2012

HAND GUNS

In my years as a criminal defense lawyer I don't think I ever had a client who had committed a crime that involved use of a firearm, not one of them had acquired the gun legally.  It is not the folks who commit the crimes with guns who are licensed.  Now and then there are exceptions but overwhelmingly the use of licensed hand guns is for sport and self defense.  A vast improvement in the mental health system would go a long way toward curbing violence too.

Change of subject: While I was laid up with the wrist fracture and torn rotator cuff last spring I got an extension for filing my 2011 tax return.  Well, time's up in October and I have an appointment with my tax preparer tomorrow so today is dig out documentation time.  YUCK!!  Add to that a new computer that is still a bit of a struggle and a Quicken program that is way off (says I'm in the red to the tune of $7 thousand.   WRONG!!) The bank has printed the whole year's transactions for me and my yellow highlighter is all warmed up so I'm all set to find all my deductible expenses.  All this after the brats and I have our walk.

Jane in cooling NC

7 Comments:

At September 12, 2012 at 11:58 AM , Blogger RoseyP said...

Jane, why do 'ordinary' people carry handguns? Not talking about the criminal type, heaven knows we have plenty of that in the city of Toronto an hour south. But ordinary folks also carry guns more in the US than in Canada, it seems. Any idea why?
Rosey

 
At September 12, 2012 at 1:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

One reason, Rosey....Canadian gun laws!

We always have a gun with us when we travel in the backcountry. DH has a concealed carry permit. One could go on and on with this subject and never reach a consensus.

Kathi

 
At September 12, 2012 at 1:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

One reason, Rosey, would be Canadian gun laws, although I understand those are changing.

We always carry a gun with us when we travel in the back country. DH has a concealed carry permit, as well as a hunting license.

Kathi

 
At September 12, 2012 at 1:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry if I double posted. This new system is strange!

Kathi

 
At September 12, 2012 at 6:23 PM , Blogger Sara in Florida said...

Rosey-to protect us from the criminal types.
Sara in Fla.

 
At September 13, 2012 at 6:17 AM , Blogger RoseyP said...

I guess my question is this: why is owing a handgun more usual in the US than in Canada. We don't think as much about this with people who would normally not carry or own a handgun (aside from the criminal element here in Canada) but in the US it is more common for people who are not criminal element to do so. We have a criminal element here in Canada, for sure...Toronto has become a city full of diverse cultures and whether that or simply the times, there is much more criminal activity than when I grew up in that city. And yet, I don't hear of people feeling the need to carry handguns in Canada as much as in the US where it's quite common for people to do so..there is always a reason to do so, I'm sure.
Rosey

 
At September 13, 2012 at 9:39 AM , Blogger Kathi in Idaho said...

We'll see if this comment posts. I tried twice yesterday, but they didn't show up.

Rosey, the Canadian gun laws, until quite recently, were far more restrictive than those in the US. We do tend to arm ourselves more, I'm sure, though.

I just read an article in the local paper from the very small town where we used to live. Last week a woman we know was wakened at four in the morning by someone trying to break down her door.
She met the intruder with a 9 mm handgun in one hand and her cell phone (that she was using to call the police) in the other. The intruder put up his hands and then fled. He was apparently a drunken transient who had been seen earlier at one of the local bars.

I know that we don't go out into the back country roads without a gun in the vehicle. DH has both a concealed carry permit and a hunting license...guess we're covered no matter what.

Kathi

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home