Monday, August 6, 2012

getting dogs to sleep?

Hi yall'.  I'm looking for suggestions as to how to get the 2 fur children to sleep until at least 6AM.  It's either that or they go in the laundry room until they are 100.  The scene is this-they are so cute, DH takes them out for an evening walk between 9:30 and 10PM.  Polly hops on my lap, Pumpkin goes under the bed to hide.  They will sleep soundly on our bed with us, usually on my back or legs all night.  Some time around 5AM they think it is time for breakfast, hop down, tic,tic, tic with their little toenails in and out of the bedroom.  "Roof" one or two times until I get up.  Or, DH will yell at them, get up on the bed and be quiet.  Which wakes me completely up.
If I put them up about 10PM they are at the other end of the house, and I don't hear them until 6L00 AM or 6:30 when I get up.
Before I spent so much time with Mom I would take them to the doggy park 2 or 3 times a week to run.   But it is too hot now, 95 or so, and I don't want them to have heat stroke.
After reading this, I don't know why I'm such a wimp about where they sleep.  Good grief.  My life is run by 2 - 10 lbs.dogs.
Sara in soggy Fla. 

4 Comments:

At August 6, 2012 at 7:03 PM , Blogger RoseyP said...

Sara, my life is run by two 40 lb Australian Shepherds, one of whom is in doggy diapers and sanitary pads. How does that sound...lol. It is my choice. I love the breed. The sun gets up early these days, so do the dogs. Hope, who has medical issues and is on Lasix, can't make it past 6 a.m. when she has to get outside without having an accident in her diaper. Just like old folks...if we live long enough, we'll all hit the knickers. 6 a.m. is standard for me to get up because of the dog and my B&B and feeding people breakfast but if it's not yours, I'd suggest putting the little darlings in the other end of the house where you don't have to hear them or your DH at 6 in the morning. Imagine having such small problems, eh....not bad, I'd say...lots worse going on in life and that's all we have to worry about.
Rosey

 
At August 6, 2012 at 8:52 PM , Blogger Jill from Portland said...

Alex will sleep forever. Sometimes he stays in bed after we get up. It's so strange considering he's such an active dog & has to play ball until exhausted before we leave for work, he's a funny guy. Also, he sleeps at the top of the bed between us with his own pillow but no covers, he hates covers! Aren't we all CRAZY!

 
At August 7, 2012 at 1:16 PM , Blogger Sara in Florida said...

Yes, I would agree that we are just a "bit" crazy - about and for our animals. I am not a happy camper if I don't get sleep. This morning I woke up at 5:30, but since the girls were not there, turned over and slept until 6:30AM. We have been staying up late ll:15 or so, watching the olympics, so the girls snuggled with me on the couch before bed. Thanks for the input.
Sara in Fla.

 
At August 7, 2012 at 7:43 PM , Blogger Kathi in Idaho said...

We just returned from a ten day trailer camping trip to far northern Montana (6 miles from Canada and actually went across the border for lunch one day). Murphy is now an 86 pound two year old who thinks that if he's up, everyone should be. I'm quite thankful to be home again where he sleeps in his crate until *I* get ready to get up! When we are in the trailer, his method for rousing us is to jump right on top of whoever is closest. The crate is a real pain to take with us, so we deal with the early (several times) wake up call...from first light until he makes us actually get out of the bed instead of telling him to lie back down again.

Kathi

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home