Friday, March 30, 2012

From Canada



I cannot take credit for this lovely daffodil but Jon Katz can on his website: bedlamfarm.com where he generously does not put a copyright on top of his photography, which I've shared here before. While spring came to us a week or more ago, far too quickly and far too hot, it fooled Mother Nature into budding tree branches and with flowers peeking through the winter's soil, nature has slowed things down now to where it should be a month from now. Hopefully, the trees and bushes will go into remission and by the end of April when they should be coming out on the trees, the buds will have survived. We have one lone red tulip blooming in DH's 'found-em' garden. It's where every plant has been donated from a garden where friends are clearing out and his garden always looks great...full of weeds by late summer but even they are colorful.


It's great to hear so much news from 'down under'. Fran, I have been wondering about Shannon and whether his life and job will take him and his bride to North America and how, with the other boys in Melburne, living where you do, I find it interesting that you do not plan to move. Personally, I feel it's about one of the biggest mistakes parents can make in older age, to uproot themselves, leave a lifetime of friends behind to move nearer their children. I've seen it in my volunteer work in speaking to many seniors and one in particular, who moved a great distance to build a home on their daughter and son-in-law's country property only to find that their daughter & SIL now spend their winters in Florida. She is alone without friends; her husband now in longterm care. I know that each of us make choices and if it works out to be near our families, how lucky we are, but even being near our families means that often we don't see as much of them as we'd hoped. They live busy lives and if they have growing children, are even busier. Hard to know just what to do at times. Life is a series of passages from one space to another. For me, it's important to feel at home where I live and have some connection to it.


I am in the process of sewing 'boots'...not for wear but for show but even so, a bootmaker I am not. I am finding it very difficult trying to figure out how to do it and am now in the process of ripping out the bottom seam as I will cover this with an overlapping sole. Reinventing the wheel, as I go.

Rosey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home