Thursday, January 26, 2012

Post: Rosey

On the week-end I bought a very small encaustic painting. It is 6"x6" painted on board with inch and a half wooden frame surrounding the edges so that the painting is thrust forward. Not sure if that explains it but you can't see the edges except viewing it sideways. Andrea Bird, an encaustic painter in our area, is someone whose art I've been following for several years and have taken a workshop with once or twice. Encaustic painting involves the use of pure beeswax mixed with oil pigments. The technique is interesting too. Layers and layers of colour are laid onto a board and a heat gun, blow torch or dry hot iron is used to move the colours in the wax around the surface. Having done this briefly I can assure you that not only is it fun but unpredictable insofar as what you end up with. The more skill, the more control, I'm sure of that. This painting was done by Andrea's husband, Daniel. It was hung horizontally with the red image lying sideways. I saw it straight up and down, vertically as the horizontal image reminded me of a canoe. I like it both ways actually but have hung it vertically as I bought another of his paintings, similar in colour but a more horizontal composition. Just thought it would brighten the board with colour.

Sara, I know what you mean with the dolphins gracefully leaping in a curve out of the water and going back down in and repeating this motion across the landscape of the oceon surface. Such a beautiful sight.

Today in Ontario, Canada it is grey. Such an achromatic month colour-wise. Worst winter for ice in the 23 years we've been in the country, too. Not much snow so far. I long for a good old fashioned snow storm...of course, while I'm safe at home and not on the roads.

Rosey

2 Comments:

At January 26, 2012 at 9:23 PM , Blogger Fran (Sth Aust) said...

I agree with the way you've hung it, Rosey. Besides looking like a canoe, it looks as if it's just come out of the water, or pond, just below, wouldn't you say?

 
At January 27, 2012 at 11:34 AM , Blogger RoseyP said...

Fran, I asked the wife of the painter (Andrea Bird) if she could ask him what he was feeling or what lay behind the painting and she said, you know men are different than we are in their artistic approach sometimes. He said he was thinking of nothing more than what he was doing...lol. Her husband is an artist but to earn a living he builds wooden fences (cedar rail, etc of which there are many here in the country) so he may see things in a more constructive type of manner, building one thing upon another in a more spontaneous way than we would as quilters or designers. We tend to plan carefully, construct carefully and are, as one friend at art college said, more tight-a**ed in my approach to design and that I likely wore flannel nightgowns to bed. Guess that was her interpretation of being more structural and planning things out beforehand than her free-flowing, spontaneous form of art. She was a weaver. Her work however was more creative than mine. I agree...the painting looks to me better vertical than horizontal but I wondered how others saw it...we all see things differently. I thought it might be fun to see how others saw it.

Rosey

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home