Sunday, January 22, 2012

BOOK REVIEW

Before I get to the aforementioned subject, Marion, those pictures certainly speak beautifully of the resilience of your fellow New Zealanders.

The book which is the subject listed is The Cruelest Month by Louise Penney. I believe it was Rosey who first recommended it or at least the author. I downloaded it to my IPod to which I listen when on the road (it's a full half hour just to the nearest grocery store). It was a real gripper involving murder, quirky characters who are lovable and otherwise, multiple suspects and political intrigue. What more could I, a great fan of well written who dunnits, ask for. Ms. Penney is firmly placed among my list of favorites.

Speaking of authors I enthusiastically recommend a Canadian author, Alan Bradley, who began his series at age 70, a retired engineer, and fan of English style mysteries as am I. The chief sleuth of his work is Flavia de Luce, age 11, irreverent, precocious, and very funny. She lives with her widowed father and two older sisters. The sisters think she is something of a disgrace and she entertains herself with pulling their chains. Father is the descendant of the old landed gentry who is having trouble maintaining the manor house in its traditional elegance in the mid fifties. Give yourself a treat and a smile reading this series. As with all series it's probably just as well to start with the first one, Sweetness and the Bottom of the Pie.

Jane

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home