Sunday, September 19, 2010

better not to know ....

I've just been on a web page which records and reports earthquakes.. We had a sharp after-shock early this morning and I wanted to know just how strong it had been. Imagine my surprise when I saw a list headed "The last 30 earthquakes recorded." ............ all had happened since Thursday and all but one around this area.... I had only felt three of them, all over 4 on the scale..

Lovely spring morning here this morning but the rest of NZ had a rough w/end. Thousands without power in the Nth Island following storms and the bottom of the Sth Island under heavy wet snow, which caused the collapse of a new stadium, among other things... "Unsettled spring weather " is how it is explained... !

Venturing into town later today to visit a friend in hospital. It's his Bday too, so I must make the effort. I've made a small posy of spring flowers, that should cheer him up.

DGD in England now has her own laptop. She Skyped us from her dorm on Saturday. It was almost a good as having her here. We heard all about her dorm mates and her new school. She seemed happy and excited, I really appreciate the marvel of modern communication. When I first came to NZ (in 1963) it was difficult even to make a phone call. It had to be booked in, in advance, and there was so much echo on the line that it was hard to have a conversation. Fortunately , my mother was a great letter writer and we exchanged weekly letters until she died in the mid eighties..

Where is everybody ? Busy, busy I suppose ?

Have a good week.
Marion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home