Thursday, August 12, 2010

Dan Yu

A dan yu is a pelvic exercise performed by those practicing Taoist Tai Chi. It is a bending of the legs, the knees not extended beyond the feet, arms stretched forward and moving gracefully up and down in unison with the dan yu. Yesterday, my 78 yr. old extremely fit guest did 300 of them in succession. This week is the 40th anniversary celebration of the Taoist Tai Chi Society in their nearby Health Recovery Centre outside of Orangeville, Ontario. There are 800 participants from all over (no doubt the world, as they often do; certainly from all over N.A.) some of whom stay at the Centre and six of whom are staying here as B&B guests. They are thoughtful, quiet guests, leaving the house by 9 a.m. and not returning, in unison, until 10:30 at night. Several years ago, I tried Tai Chi for eight months and obviously wasn't doing the exercises correctly for my ongoing problem of continuous inflammation brokered its way into my knees and I could hardly bend them to get into the bathtub. I'm thinking that I should be going back but I think that everytime one of these Tai Chi guests come to stay. I know that it is one of the hardest forms of physical exercise I've done (and I taught figure skating years ago, played other sports as well) because it is a slow-movement, body supporting form of exercise. Moving quickly for the body is easy; moving slowly and supporting your body weight is not. I wish that I had taken it up at a much younger age. And, that is my week so far; six very nice guests who need to be at the food trough by 8 o'clock in the morning, a different menu each day with three lactose/gluten free diets. However, I eat that way too, so it's not too much of a challenge.

We've had rain and more rain this summer so that August, when the grass is beginning to look like a mown hayfield, is still 'English' green. Today is overcast but for the Taoist Society's demonstration in Toronto, a very large affair in Dundas Square, the weather is just perfect for them. It's dreary but not hot.

Marion, I loved your comment on men never believing that road blocks are for them and detours are. Did you manage to not say anything at all?

Rosey

2 Comments:

At August 14, 2010 at 12:54 PM , Blogger Sara in Florida said...

Rosey-I've been wanting to do Tai Chi, but no one here teaches it.
Sara

 
At August 14, 2010 at 12:54 PM , Blogger Sara in Florida said...

Rosey-I've been wanting to do Tai Chi, but no one here teaches it.
Sara

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home