Friday, February 12, 2010

Appalachian accents and other stuff

I have posted this before, I know, but will do it again. Y'all stems from Old English terminology, ye all. The singular is "you-uns" which comes from you ones. (Don't ask me why there's an 's' on the end when it is singular, I have no clue).

We have now had several more snowstorms and more on the way. Biggest problem here is falling trees due to saturated soil from all the rain this year plus the wet, heavy snow and icing. Fortunately we manage to get a day once in a while to be able to get out of the house. Quilt club has been snowed out 3 times in a row now and we are all praying for a respite for the machine quilting class that is scheduled.

Sara, I posted a comment about your news articles etc. Please save them for your grandchildren in case anyone ever does a family tree, they are invaluable insights. Sad that names were not put on pictures; I ran into that after anyone who knew who they were had passed on. So please, folks, identify your pictures somehow for future generations! When my aunt passed away I was allowed to go through her secretary desk and glean what I could. In later years the desk went to my cousin's son, who decided the antique needed some care and cleaning. When he took the drawers out, years of photos and papers fell out that had fallen down the back. He was kind enough to copy it all for me, but we still have pictures we cannot identify and even militaria from the 1800s with names that we have no clue why our family had them.

RE: pollution. In 1983 there was an article in Southern Living about the plants in southern Ohio and Kentucky and general airflow south into the Smoky Mountains. At that time it said pollution was so bad it was as if you turned the mountains upside down and dipped the trees in vinegar due to acid rain. Hard to believe that was 27 years ago and the problem is still here. At the time I gave the article to my boss, who had a summer home in Boone,NC. Wish I had kept it, he wasn't impressed LOL.

Well I have yacked on enough, stay warm everyone (enjoy the warm, you folks down under). Lavinia

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home