Monday, November 2, 2009

Shingles/walking/shoes/etc.

Ah-went walking at he beach on Sat. morning after watching the sun come up. There is nothing better than a "cool" morning walking at the beach at low tide.
Back to home this noon.
Last year when I signed up for the 1/2 marathon I knew that I'd need a group to keep my motivation up. The local Breast Cancer group that I was supporting teamed up with Jeff Galloway, who was a 1972 Olympic winner. He has supported himself helping others run, holding running camps, etc.
His method has a person walking/jogging, off and on. The fast people 5 min run/i min walk, the slow people 20 sec. run/ 40 sec. walk, and all in between. The idea is to finish healthy, with no injuries.
His statement is that if you are over 50 you should do every other day. Too much stress on the legs and feet otherwise. That keeps us from guilt also.
SHOES-Everybody is different. I've found that Asic Gel Nimbus are great for me. They wear out fast. They are all made in China, so try on several pairs. (don't know what happened to my font)
When you find a pair you like-try it for 2 weeks then buy a second pair just like them so when #1 wears out you will have a standby.
Don't forget the socks. There are so many of the new blends now that are better than cotton. I found that Smart Wool socks are great even in hot weather because I don't get blisters. After buying 1 pair for $$$ I got them at the discount on line places.
Kelly's Running, ZAPO's, Siera Trading Co. all have discounts if you find the size and type you want. Shoes are like a good bra, when you find one that supports you, and you like buy several. The style will change in 6 months.
Shingles-yikes- I'm so sorry for those who have to suffer so. My DH had it several years ago. After a week of not saying anything, he said he had a rash on his stomach, then on his back. When he finally went to the DR. all he could do was take Tylonal for the pain, as the original outbreak was over. Remembering this I asked my family Dr. for the shot when I became 60, as my insurance covered it. Yes, it is expensive, but better than the pain.
All for now.
Sara in cooler Fla.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home