Sunday, October 4, 2009

Questions for dog training

Hi, I've been awake since 5 AM when the dogs decided they both wanted to be on the bed, and next to me.
Any dog owners/lovers out there with tricks of how to keep the dogs off the bed, without the crying, wimpering that goes on when they are in the kennel? I put Dog #2 in kennel at night, with her bed and cookie, and she loves it until some ungodly time in the AM, 2:00, 3:00, whatever, so DH lets her out and up on the bed. The other dog has been happy sleeping under the bed, then decides she wants to be up there, next to me too.
Enough!
I would have them both in the same or seperate kennels (travel crates) in the laundry room with the door shut from 10:00 PM to 6:00 AM. DH is the real problem.
We just bought a new mattress and box springs last week. It had been years since I had a good night's sleep, thought it was age-related. Turns out we just had a worn out bed. I'm not happy about sharing it with 2 dogs. It would be OK if they stayed down at our feet, but they both want to be next to "Mom". Maybe I smell sweet or something.
I'll gladly entertain suggestions and ideas.
Today is going to be a long one. Church, then we had promissed DGS #3 that we would take him to football game today at 1:00. DGS #1 turns 13 today. Where does the time fly to? I remember being in the hospital seeing him on the warming tray, looking at him through the glass. After about 24 hrs. of labor DD had a C section. It was a long night/day until he decided to arrive.
OK, off to start the day. Coffee is calling my name.
P.S. to our Canadian sisters--supposed to be sunny and about 85 by kick off time at 1:00.
Sara in Fla.

2 Comments:

At October 5, 2009 at 6:16 AM , Blogger Laura in Alabama said...

As you said it, DH is the real problem. If you can get both dogs confined in the same area, the young one might not cry. When we got our puppy, she cried when we confined her to a crate by herself, but did not cry when confined with the older dog in a pen.
Laura in Alabama

 
At October 5, 2009 at 3:13 PM , Blogger Jill from Portland said...

Sara,
The "Loved Dog" gal says nothing empowers a dog like letting it sleep on the bed. I think the crying will
decrease quickly when they know it's a losing battle, I don't think they know that yet :)
Saying that....our dogs all slept on the bed. The last of our gang is now to old tto get on the bed.
I think in the future we will go with the no dogs on the bed policy.
I'm sure it does send mixed signals about who is in charge.
We still have 2 cats on the bed each nite, that's a truly losing battle!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home