Saturday, October 3, 2009

A successful retreat...and I got a bit long-winded.

Rosey wrote a few days back that when she was in Minneapolis/St. Paul she "visited the most wonderful quilt shop, with Pat Cox, that overlooked a lake north and west," and wondered if it was the same place where I was going to a retreat. Nope. Sandi Irish would probably know which place you are referring to. I live a short two hours from the twin cities and the retreat center I went to is in Sleepy Eye. I really got a lot accomplished in two days! And, I didn't even spend the night because I had another commitment on Thurs evening. The projects I took with me all needed only a few hours of work - sewing on the bindings, a bit more machine quilting, the last border added, etc. One example. When my daughter was three I bought a precut fan quilt at a Crazy Days sale. At the time I said "This will be great when she leaves for college" because I figured it would take me that long. "How old is she?" you ask. Three months short of 18.... I finished the top a l-o-n-g time ago, had it machined quilted at least two years ago and only needed to do the binding. Most of them were not what you would call real "beauties" or I probably would have finished them sooner!

Our guild challenge this year is to finish up some old projects, which is what prompted me to get some of these things done. We are supposed to bring our projects to the Oct or Nov meeting and do a pre-show and tell. The project that I am going to enter in the challenge is actually from a retreat off the board - MN Babes 2000. At that retreat a group of us bought a challenge fabric and were supposed to make blocks for each other that represented our idea of "MN Babes 2000." Anybody remember that? I don't know how many participated but I found about 12 blocks from that swap last week. I think 9, almost 10 years will qualify as an old project. I already know what I am going to do with the blocks--I found a block that is a friendship star with a chain going in both directions (that's probably as clear as mud...) I also have the sashing for the blocks that you guys made for me about two years ago and all the blocks done for a Blooming 9 patch. So those are my top three projects on the "to-do" pile.

I've written a novel here. Better get moving - it is Oktoberfest in New Ulm and we are going to go check out the band playing down town as well as the grape stomp at the local vineyard. Joleen in MN

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home