Sunday, September 27, 2009

Drizzly here too

Jane, I guess if the board is to remain a living, breathing thing and others read it and don't post, the board may eventually dry up and wither away. So, on this drizzly, foggy almost, Sunday morning which doesn't bear any signs of having the sun peek out behind this blanket of grey in the sky, I will post. I'm ahead of my guests by an hour before they need their breakfasts. I think of it in my mind as them coming to the trough. I like to have a head start on my day when I have B&B guests as I don't like rushing; dogs need feeding, I need to sort myself out something like my hens used to do when jumping down off their lofts. Same as the dogs when they first get up, they shake their coats out first thing in the morning. I think of myself as shaking my feathers and getting my body is shape to face the day. Arthur-itis or not.

I attended a quilt guild meeting earlier this week, something I seldom do because I forget about the date and I also fall asleep at meetings regardless of the fact that I'm not tired. It's an embarassing fact that began when I was in art college as an older student and even at nine in the morning, if the lights went down and the lecturer began the class, the top of my head could often be seen more than my face. The speaker this week was a well-known US quilter who was on a round of sharing her fast and easy sewing techniques guaranteed to allow oneself to make a quilt top in three hours if you so chose. When she mentioned this as she held her small quilt aloft, it brought me to attention. "Three hours" I thought "holy cow, why would anyone want to rush through a production line of piecing a quilt in three hours when all of life is often nothing but rushing about and deadlines?" But then, I was the only one to feel some resistance towards that particular remark as the audience lapped up her talk. Was I the only one to notice this, I wondered and so sent out a questionnaire to my trusted quilty friends from the board and they responded with some wonderful replies. I'm trying to understand why, when all of life at times gets to be so pressure-filled, quilters rush through the process of making a quilt instead of taking the time to savour it. But then, I'm very slooooooowwww at making quilts in the sense that I dawdle, enjoy sorting out the problems and I don't balance my cheque book. I figure that these efficient, quick and easy methods may appeal to more left-brained people who balance their cheque books to the cent and don't live their life in a fog, like I do half the time. However, while I may appear to be in a fog, it's usually a very interesting fog.

So that's my contribution for this morning. Thank you, Jean, Celia, Kathi, Doris for your input.

Rosey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home