Thursday, May 21, 2009

LOVE THE QUIET HERE

at home. I also love the picture of the proud Mama and chicks. I have a Frazier fir in my front yard that was a house warming gift from dear neighbors five years ago. It hasn't grown much because of the drought of five years but with the recent rains in the past month or two it has a lot of new growth and is filling in. I don't want it too big as I light it up for Christmas and don't bother with one in my very small living room. Although I've never seen robins at this elevation I have a resident family of them in the fir tree right at eye level. I inadvertently hit Shadow's ball two days ago and it flew through the top of the tree. Papa robin came flying out in high dudgeon scolding me until Shadow and I went to the other side of the house to play. However, before my departure from the scene I took a quick peek and there were two of the original three eggs, still a pretty robins egg blue and the third was a completely naked baby still struggling to emerge from the membrane sack. I took off quickly as Papa was frantic and I knew that baby had to be kept warm. Today I took another peek, this time startling Mama and there were three babies fully emerged and with a bit of down. I've got to control myself and leave them alone but it is so tempting to peek. I do need to know when the fledging process begins because I'll have to confine Shadow for a couple of days so they can master flight without being eaten. From now on when I'm in the yard I'll be sure to have the handy digital camera with me but right now I'll give my tenants some peace.

On the few days we haven't had rain in the past few weeks it's been glorious with more wildflowers than I've seen in years. The wild dogwood were fantastic. It's amazing what some rain can provide. Since I'm on a well and public water system isn't available out here I'm doubly delighted with the rain. I haven't seen it this green in quite a few years. I pay a young man to mow and he's cleaning up in more than one way.

Worked a bit today on the wedding quilt. I have some misgivings about what I'm doing but I have too much money and effort invested to change anything.

Meeting with the hard core hand quilters at the frame tomorrow AM. I so appreciate the fellowship of the small group after my year of relative social isolation.

Jane in NC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home