Sunday, April 12, 2009

MORE DOGS

DORIS, I see your point and agree. The local adoption group takes dogs in from the pound which are out of time. They are then fostered and receive often needed vet care often including neutering and are then put up for adoption. The adoptive owner pays a fee for all these services of course. I agree, I don't want a neurotic animal that has separation or abuse issues. Either can eventually adapt but I will look hard at the temperament of any animal I ever adopt. I want a pal, not a head case or a cause. Every once in a while I just stop there and check out the pooches and every once in a while I have come very close to giving in. Once, when I approached the area a dog who looked like he had quite a bit of German Shepherd in him but he was a much more manageable size and I thought his tail would wag right off of him as I approached. I held out my hand to give him a sniff and he was on his back in no time. He got a good tummy rub from me and I almost took him home with me. That kind of submissiveness means ease of training and anxiety to please. I'm sure he was gone by the end of that session under the tent that a local funeral parlor provides. Other times there would be nothing I'd be interested in. They have cats now and then but there is a rather famous no kill shelter here built with private money and run by "Cat Man Two" and that's where I'd go if I were in the market for a cat. The doggie group is named "ARF" which is an acronym the meaning of which is beyond me. I could never foster a dog. I'd end up keeping all the ones that didn't bite me.

Now to take my old pooch for my first try at the steep old logging trail alongside my house since before the accident. I'll take the cane with me as I'm not sure but what I'll need it to steady my on the way down.

Jane

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home