Friday, January 16, 2009

It's hard to imagine Marion down there in New Zealand cooking in heat when we are literally into a deep-freeze up here. Not sure which I prefer but think I'll take the freezing cold any time over intense heat as long as I have the clothes and heat to support it. I realize that in Tennessee and Alabama, people just aren't prepared for such cold weather. At least up here in Southern Ontario, we can choose how we dress. I live in wool sweaters and alpaca sox most of the winter, along with a down coat, woolen hat and mittens. The snow boots are a bit of a pain in the butt getting in and out of them but I can go snow-shoeing as I did this morning in minus 30C wind-chill factored weather and absolutely love the wind stinging my face. When I got into the car, the temp. registered 5F, without the windchill factor. That's cold, even for here. We heat primarily by wood but you have to be at home to keep feeding the fires to heat this way. Lots of deer tracks about the property and I often see deer running through the fields when I'm back up there snowshoeing.

Something most aren't aware of, I believe the pilot who landed the plane in the Hudson River was a glider pilot.

Rosey

1 Comments:

At January 16, 2009 at 9:59 PM , Blogger Margaret from Long Island, NY said...

I live near the "tail fork" of Long Island, about 70 miles from NYC, so the news coverage of the plane landing in the Hudson has been extensive. When they mentioned that the pilot was also a glider pilot, I immediately thought of your husband. I'm sure he has been quite interested in the entire coverage of such an amazing event.

Margaret from Long Island, NY

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home