Friday, January 9, 2009

Happy New Year

I hope everyone had nice holidays. A week ago today, we lost our little Shih Tzu, Alex. He was 16 years and a week old. He had dementia for a few years now, was quite deaf and half blind, but still difficult because we lost a member of the family. Our vet assured DH we were doing the right and best thing for Alex by helping him cross the Rainbow Bridge. I am doing better each day and actually got through today without a teary moment. DH says we are now, truly "empty nest"ers.

So . . . to offset this sadness in my life I decided to create a diversion and am in the process of buying a vintage Singer 201. Nothing like a 'new' old machine to distract and entertain. I think I've found the right one, it's in process of being completely refurbished, and photos will arrive next week before I commit. With all the computerized machines I own, if my dealer should go out of business with this recession I might have nobody to work on them should I need a repair. Any OSMG (old sewing machine guy) can work on an old Singer mechanical. When I presented my theory and intentions to a fellow guild member, she laughed and called it my Armageddon machine, but told me a true Armageddon machine would be a treadle, because it will sew without electricity. Welp, I can't walk & chew gun so please don't ask me to treadle and feed fabric. ;-P

I'll sell my Janome Jem "Silver" to make room (and help pay for) the new old 201. I can't have those machines breeding like rabbits up there in the sewing room. Ack!
I have an old Singer 301, and that will become my lightweight machine to take to guild workshops.

No other big news here. I signed up for classes at the Atlanta Sewing Expo in Duluth, GA and look forward to those in March. Got my sewing room tidied up today, Xmas wrapping supplies put away, and need to get busy sewing!

Hugs to everyone,
Doris

3 Comments:

At January 10, 2009 at 8:03 AM , Blogger Laura in Alabama said...

So sorry to hear about Alex. They sure leave a hole in our lives when they leave us.
Laura

 
At January 10, 2009 at 12:34 PM , Blogger MaryJo said...

Doris, I'm so sorry about Alex. We invest lots of love in our pets. He had a long, happy life with you. Isn't it good that we have that companionship? Our old fella kitty is in his last year, at age 19. He's a big part of our lives, too.

 
At January 13, 2009 at 11:12 AM , Blogger Mainequilta said...

Doris,So sorry to hear of your loss. 4 1/2 mos. ago we had to put owur 13 yr. old lab/golden down. She had just gone through a bout of canine old age vestibulitis (very severe vertigo) and we thought she was on the mend then she went down hill rapidly. Vet thought she had a spinal tumor. So maybe Millie & Alex are playing together at the rainbow bridge. Your days will begin to get better but it sure doesn't fill that way at the beginning. God bless. Martha in cold Maine

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home