Friday, December 26, 2008

WHEW, MADE IT

For some unknown reason the chat page isn't displaying the the new post button but finally got there from the BB page.

I have received a reprimand from a certain member of this jolly group about my absence from the board and so, Rosey, I dedicate the following to you even though we covered the ground on the phone the other day.

I've been in a cast on my right foot almost up to the knee and under very restricted weight bearing on the right foot since mid November when the very damaged (much worse than the surgeon had anticipated) was repaired via a tendon transfer which involved using tendon tissue from a nearby healthy tendon. He also reamed out a large bunch of scar tissue and recently developed arthritis as well as removed the five screws used last March to put the compound fractures together. Frankly I've been in a very self pitying funk most of this time even more so than last spring when I was in far worse shape. At least now with the light at the end of the tunnel the tunnel is shortening.

It's the dependence on others to get me where I need to go, do some of the picking up of the mess etc. and most of all, the fatigue that has plagued me. The depression has been worse this time than it was last spring. Everything including hygiene, toilet etc. takes such effort. That combined with minimal exercise for the better part of a year just wears me out. The primary doc has increased my depression med but so far not to much effect. I know that it takes a bit before kicking in.

Jean in VT. perhaps you and I should form an organization for those suffering from orthopedic train wrecks.

On the positive side I believe that the cast is coming off on the 12th unless something has gone wrong. Judging by the reduction of pain and pain meds I've been taking I anticipate that all is well. Showering is a problem as no matter what kind of plastic bag, including a cut to size 3mil heavy "contractor's bag" I use over the cast and taped with water proof tape some water always makes its way in and the forward end of the cast is pretty soft and it can take two days to dry out as the padding under the cast gets wet. Fortunately this is only on the bottom of my foot. Unfortunately, it now smells as if something crawled in there and died.

My plans to use this down time to do lots of embroidery and hand quilting have not come to fruition. In addition to fatigue requiring naps the idiot ophthalmologist who did the cararact surgery missed the mark by a mile when it came to prescribing new lenses. Reading is very difficult and the computer makes my eyes water. When I returned to him and pointed out that there seems to be little or no correction for the left eye; the one with some scars from the herpes infection of '94, he backed the technician who did the refraction and that was the shortest refraction I've ever had. He got defensive and said that's the best it will be, particularly with progressive lenses (which I've been wearing since they hit the market). Last week I went to see the optometrist in Wal-Mart and for $35 he put me through all the paces paying a lot of attention to the astigmatism in that eye. He fooled with it until the image from both eyes coincided via the use of a prism and that image was focused. I've had a prism in my prescription for more than 20 years but surgeon failed to notice that. Fortunately, the lab will produce the newly prescribed lenses at no charge since it was changed within ninety days of the previous one. If they work out as well as all of my previous ones from this optometrist I'll be able to read without fuzz around each letter and tearing up after just a few minutes. I haven't read a book all this time or taken a stitch.

Christmas celebration was minimal. Did go to a party at favorite neighbors on Sunday evening and had dinner at home of a very old friend (old U. MI friend) and will have dinner with another wonderful neighbor tonight who is celebrating tonight as their DD and DGKs couldn't get here until late yesterday. Of course, all these gracious hosts have to provide taxi service which the do very graciously. It will be fun to mingle with kids for a while. Oh, almost as much fun was my babysitting chore last week. The Sunday party hosts, the doggiest people I know (four Boykin spaniels) asked me to "baby sit" the dogs while they hosted the staff and their mates from the big downtown Methodist church where she works. My mood was lower than a snake's belly but when the canine whirlwind hit and the two silly youngest pups were so excited to be here I couldn't continue to feel like Scrooge and the Grinch. What wonderful creatures. The two older ones selltled down and napped

Well, my eyes are teary and itching and it's time to give the kitchen a wipe up and take a nap. Another opportunity to over eat approacheth.

I hope everyone had the best possible holiday whether it be Christmas, Hanukkah or just the return of the sun on the solstice. Many hugs to those who are in the dumps for any reason.

Jane in NC

Would someone of the Jewish persuasion please instruct me as the correct spelling of the festival of lights? The spell checks don't agree and I seek the guidence of someone who knows a lot more about such things than I.

2 Comments:

At December 27, 2008 at 8:04 AM , Blogger Beverley said...

So sorry to hear of your problems Jane. I hope very much you are better soon, and get back to your normal self and life. Hugs and good wishes.
Beverley.

 
At December 28, 2008 at 5:12 PM , Blogger Linda, the Serial Quilter from Oxford, Ohio said...

Jane, the difficulty in getting an English spelling of Hanukkah or Chanukah (other spellings abound too) is that you are trying to get sounds from one language to another and our English letters just aren't equivalent to the sounds you get in Hebrew.

I'm not Jewish but have learned a bit about many religious festivals, and I have learned several languages, so far not Hebrew, but some Yiddish, German, French, Spanish and Latin.
Linda, the Serial Quilter from Oxford, Ohio

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home