Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas

I hope all who celebrate had a wonderful Christmas. All is finally quiet here, only because three of the kids are out and the oldest has gone home, leaving only our middle child at home, and he's the quietest of the bunch! DH and I watched a movie on TV to unwind a bit, and now I'm just hoping I can stay awake until the three come home.

We were a lot more low-key this year, both because of the economy and because no one needs a glut of gifts. That's not what Christmas is all about. We went to the candlelight service last night at church and were utterly charmed by the childrens' presentation of the nativity. I remember Rosey, I think it was, saying how she loved to watch the kids and their antics up front. Last night we had one who sang particularly loud and added his own little touches to the melodies. It was a riot, and so adorable. It was the best part of the service, in my opinion, childlike joy in its simplist form. Of course, ending the service singing "Silent Night" with the church lit only by the candles we were holding is always a favorite.

Looking ahead to the new year is a bit more challenging this year than most because of the economic uncertainty our country faces (and us being business owners that rely on retail sales for our livelihood) but I'm going to use that as an incentive to pare things down around here even more than I usually do in January. Since we bring gifts in each December, I always try to clear out a little in January, and this year in particular the things I no longer use can be put to good use by people who have less than we do. I know food shelf donations are down just when the need has risen. Consignment stores are doing a booming business, and thrift stores are always looking for donations. I really hope this arm of mine gets strong fast so I can go through this place and clear out some.

On that note, my physical therapist was really excited Wednesday how far I've come in just the week I've been out of the sling. When the sling came off, I could only raise my arm waist height; now I can raise it shoulder height, and I'm talking about raising it on its own power. That's good progress for just one week. I'm encouraged.

Goodness, I'm gabbing on. I'd better save some room for someone else! Merry Christmas, everyone, and a good night to all.

Jean in VT

1 Comments:

At December 26, 2008 at 1:18 PM , Blogger Jane in NC said...

I've been silent for weeks and now can't find a "new post" connection to the board. I'm trying this circitous route and hope it works.

Jean, I'm in complete sympathy with your orthopedic problems. I hope to be liberated from the cast, sponge baths and cast on the 12th.

Jane in NC

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home