Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Reporting in from 1/2 Marathon

I promised to report in and tell you how I did. But first. . . .
Rosey-Thank you for you comments. I was waiting for you to say, "But now I'll go my seperate way" or something to that effect. We all have such different personalities, but isn't that what makes life interesting?
The race day started out grand. It was still dark, about 3,000 people there. The Navy band played. The Marine Corps had the color guard and we sang the national anthem.
The first 5 miles were good, I saw the sun come up, there were bands along the way, and lots of water stations. At 6 miles I wanted to quilt, as was going too fast. My GF & I slowed down, walked more and made it to the 10 mile mark. Then I really wanted to quit, as we were some of the last 5 or 6 people there, and the police motercycle was right behind us.
Finally made it to 12 miles by now in the hot sun by the riverwalk about 10:30 AM. Had to just walk the last mile and a bit and jogged over the finish line.
Time 15.35 per mile-total 3hr. 23:30 min. We then called our DH's and met at Cracker Barrell for breakfast. All was going well until about 2PM when I developed a killer headach. After moaning, taking Advil, etc. DH decided I must be dehydrated, so brought me 2 large glasses of water. That did the trick. I then drank Gatorade, etc. until about 8:30 PM (we were watching football on TV-our team won.)
Sunday morning I was just fine! Moral of the story-drink lots of liquids the 2 days before the race. Don't have any wine with the spagetti the night before.
Not doing this again next month, but probably will do the 1/2 in Feb. for the breast cancer run.
DH is tired of me getting up at 5:30, I'm trying not to wake him or the dog, but sometimes I do.
OK, have neglected the yard, etc. This week in Mamogram week, oh joy.
In the local press breast cancer, pink ribbons, etc. are in the news. I'm running to support reseach to find a cure.
OK, off to face the day and let the dog out for the 3rd time.
Sara in Fla.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home