Tuesday, August 14, 2007

This & that . . .

HEAT WAVE - We hit a record a few days ago; something like 101 or 103. Today it cooled down to 98° F but the humidity returned, so it felt worse than it did last week at 101F. Rosey P. - Normally by 10:30 a.m. it is 90F here. I'll take Ontario any day. (grin). Lots of our trees are beginning to lose their leaves from our drought. They are stressed to begin with after the hard freeze in March or April. I have cracks in my yard that are almost one inch wide in places. The weather guys have stopped telling us how many inches we are behind in our rainfall.

The hummingbird feeder was busy today. I think I should just hook up an I.V. for those little guys. Bless their hearts. They went through 4 ounces by late afternoon. There are no flowers (drought) so I've got all their business. Am considering buying another one. I'm seeing very few birds overall, too. The ground is so hard and dry, they cannot eat any worms or insects. I imagine they've gone somewhere else where they can survive. We don't even have mosquitoes and not much in the way of fleas & ticks this summer. (Okay . . . I notice my browser's spell-check has mosquitoes spelled with an "...oes" at the end instead of "...os." Dan Quayle and I are vindicated! But I digress...)

ARLINGTON, TX - did anyone see the news film clip of the playground in Arlington that caught on fire from the heat and spontaneous combustion? Bark mulch on the ground was cited as the igniting material. That's hot!

AQS EXPO in NASHVILLE - Laura in AL, I'm going but I'm not sure yet which day. I'm trying to share a ride to cut down on the carbon footprint. If I go Saturday, I'll email you.

Y'all stay cool and hydrated!!! Hugs to everyone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home