Monday, August 13, 2007

Catching up -- again!

DH is home from working away for the summer but I *still* don't seem to have any free time! Argh! I read here faithfully every day but I never seem to have the extra few minutes to post and comment on the issues and events of the day.

First, congratulations to those who are winning the diet war! Pat and Jane, you are doing wonderfully! I have neither gained nor lost an ounce since I dropped the 21 pounds, but since i have not been making any attempt whatsoever to diet during this time, I regard that as something of a victory! LOL Maybe when DH goes fishing in a week or two I will get back on that horse...

Anna, I so agree about the spelling issues! One of my favourites is the French "Voilà!" as used by almost everyone now. The problem is that it is hard to recognize that it is the French 'voilà' that is being attempted, since it is all too often spelled "Walla!" Oh, dear. Illiterate in *two* languages!

Jane, thank you for the reminder about dental work for older pets. I have just had my oldest cat in to have his teeth cleaned and thoroughly checked, since I believe he will soon be too old to safely have anesthetics and I don't want him suffering with bad teeth when it is too late to have them fixed. And I also had the old foster dog in and had the same thing done with her, since she is a fat old 12 year old and aging fast now. (I am happy to report that neither of them needed any extractions or serious repairs, although the cat had some gum infection for which he received antibiotics.)

Jill, adoptions for my rescue group are going well this year (touch wood!) and at this point I have *only* 11 foster kittens, all too young to be adopted out! This is much better than previous years at this time! I have just had a first for our group, though, and it is very upsetting indeed. A young cat who was one of my bottle babies last Fall was adopted out earlier this summer. The people called saying they had to return her because in the last week she had started to pee on the bed. I told them to bring her back at once and made a vet appointment to get her checked for a UTI or whatever. But I knew the answer as soon as I saw her -- she had been abused and the peeing was a result of stress. This was a hand raised baby and there is nothing more friendly and social than that -- so seeing her hiding and flinching away from hands and hissing at the other cats and crying out when you touched certain parts of her was a bit of a dead giveaway. I did not need the vet to confirm -- which she did this morning -- that the poor little thing had been abused. Now I am hoping that she can get over the trauma so she can find a better home some day... If any of you are interested, she is a black kitty with medium long fur, a sweet disposition, and she does not pee on the beds here! LOL

I have a Gucci dog bouncing around trying to tell me she wants to go outside with me. I think I will take her up on that offer! :)

Jean who is planning to contact every agency and group in this community that adopts out animals and make sure they have the names of those people on their blacklists...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home