Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Don't talk to me about heat! ;)

Rosey, heat is 46ºC. :O Which is what we've had for the last several days, but thank God for AC! We shudder to think of the electric bill but we do keep it on the "warmest" setting...no need to be cold, we just don't want to pass out! The ceiling fans help distribute it. DH is finally learning the need to air the house in the morning and release the trapped hot air from the un-conditioned rooms and get in any cool morning air that's going (not much right now, but enough to be noticeable.) They say it's supposed to cool down today but so far no luck.

Good news, I got my bloodwork results and the Dr has finally grokked that I *am* hypothyroid. At last!! I had slightly low thyroid in my teens due to a growth spurt (and was given pills) and for years I thought I had it here, but Spanish doctors could never "see" it. I think it must be hereditary as my mother got very low-thyroid as she went thru the menopause.Anyway, the DR told me that low thyroid is an aggravating factor in high cholesterol--they often go together. This explains why my cholesterol is maxed out, though I am now vegetarian. At least now I can *do* something about the tiredness, poor sleep, leg cramps etc., and I didn't just hear, "Lose weight you lazy slob." I'm lazy because I'm exhausted all the time--because I'm hypothyroid. She also told me to eat a banana every day for the minerals. AND that vegism is a good diet choice!Hurray!! I'm just so glad I didn't get "It's just your nerves."

Lydia in TN: I posted the website you wanted in the comment section, under your comment on my first post. There are some others around too but that's the best one IMHO.

Cotton fabric is darn near impossible to get here anymore. Except in super-expensive (import) quilt shops. Sigh. Maybe if my classes keep up, I can afford something pretty, but $2o a yard does go against the grain! Right now I don't have time to quilt anyway. Sigh. Can't have it all though, I am not complaining, definitely not! Even though one student slept through her class (noshow) and another is still waiting for her bus to come...I believe that, being a "victim" of the RTA myself.

I have learned though, not to use the phrase "welcome to my world" when DH complains about bus travel, irresponsible plumbers who don't show up, and any of a dozen things that I've had to deal with on my own for the past 24 yrs. Unless I actually Want an argument--then I can use it. ;) It makes him mad enough to spit in a heartbeat!

Hope your heat isn't too awfully humid...it's very dry here,like living inside an oven. BUT they have torn up all our sidewalks so it's dust an inch thick on any surface, where they're cutting the cement tiles (different system entirely, no poured concrete.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home