Monday, July 30, 2007

At last!! At last!!

Oh frabjous day! Callooh! Callay! anna's back!!

After many weeks of waiting, at last I can play in the big girls' sandbox again!! LOL For the last couple of months I had the technical board sorted, but no invite to the chat page. And since quilting is at an all time low over here, all the news I had belongs here and not on the other page. I'm sure you're all thrilled about this (or not! ;) but it's good to be here. I had stopped reading because it made me so sad not to be able to say anything.

Well ladies my life has done a complete turnaround, for the better but the busier!! DH FINALLY got disability! He is on a pension now, although it's not "absolute" (for that you practically have to be a vegetable!) which means that a) we will have to pay the rest of the mortgage) and b) he won't be eligible for a free bus pass till he's 65. That part I don't understand, because if he's entitled to free prescription meds, why not a free buspass? Though I do know that the local RTA holds out the "free" rides as a political look-good, and attach so many prerequisites that nobody can qualify!!
It was funny--he had been denied disability twice, and had appealed all by himself (since we couldn't afford a trial), and had given up all hope after 6 mos of silence. So he took dismissal from his job in order to get a little (very little) severance pay (about 1/5 of what they actually owed him but they had him over a barrel, and didn't they just know it!) because he couldn't keep working the way things were and no one would actually tell him whether he was damaging his eyes by continuing to strain them. The very day he got his first unemployment check, he got the letter stating that he had disability. So then he had to go get OFF unemployment! He also discovered they had paid him his first pension check 2 days before into the other acct so he returned the unemployment money, not wanting to be accused of fraud (and yes, they would have.)
So he's home with me, and is a great help. He has taken over the dishes and running the sweeper (choir of angels here, please--Handel's Hallelujah!) For some reason he actually likes running the sweeper.Now if I could just teach him to iron I'd be set!! LOL

And it's a good thing he's around because I have had so many students this last month I could hardly draw breath. All university but one, all adults. There are days I'd have 6 hrs of class! This month will be slightly less as my one non-uni adult is going on vacation to Bali and Oz (hence classes). But I could do with the rest.

So I haven't quilted a stitch. I did finish quilting the fan top Ginny in FL gave me, and posted it about a month and half ago (I think). There were some extra squares so DH suggested I sew them together to make enormous "sunflowers" as a lap quilt, two flowers surrounded by the 9-patch squares.

I've had my head tightly wedged in the 17th-18th centuries all month, and I did speak at church yesterday. How I kept from qu0ting John Donne at them, I don't know! (They don't speak English so it wouldn't have gone over large).

Thanks to my efforts though, we now have a small AC unit in the bedroom which is enough to cool my office as well. Hopefully next yr we can put another in the lvg room. Yesterday it was 46ºC out and I didn't even get short tempered! Hopefully in the fall we can access his retirement fund and finally redo the bathroom. Ginny's seen it...it needs doing.

So I write, I tutor, I try to quilt and I am very, very grateful for where we are now. I've gone back to being a vegetarian (ovolacto) and found a great website for that...but no quilters there!

AND I can post here!! Hello to all my lovely friends: Brenda in CA, Terter if she's around, Ginny, Ciel in CA, and everyone else. I'm soooo glad to be back!
It's good to be home.
anna

2 Comments:

At July 31, 2007 at 4:22 AM , Blogger Lavinia said...

Great to "see" you back, Anna! And so glad your situation has changed for the better. Please post the URL for the vegetarian web site. I've been trying to get a handle on that. Thanks and hugs. Lavinia

 
At July 31, 2007 at 7:18 AM , Blogger anna in spain said...

www.vegweb.com

Good recipes, you don't have to join but there are 2 ways: a paid subscription and a free account. The subscription helps run the site and gives you messaging privileges, but anyone can post on the Q and A (and chat and stuff) board if they create a freebie account. If you see posts from "yabbitgirl" that'll be me.

It's technically a "vegan" site but a lot of us are ovolacto, and 99% of the people posting are very nonjudgemental and supportive.

Any cook with any experience knows where to sub in the eggs, dairy products etc. Like where it says "applesauce" or "Ener-G" you can use eggs; Soy cheeze can be real cheese, plain yogurt instead of soy, etc.

VegWeb has been a lifesaver all these months I couldn't "play" on this chat!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home