Monday, July 30, 2007

Welcome back, Anna

It's nice to see your posting and to read that all is sorting out well for you both. I cannot imagine your heat without an airconditioner so you do well to cope.

Getting onto this site takes more time and therefore is less spontaneous and perhaps fewer people take the time to post because of this. We are in the country and on slow speed dial up and therefore it's a matter of a minute or two before I can post. That wouldn't seem long but when you are an aging old fart like myself, thoughts disappear all too quickly and I can't remember why I signed on and what for...

Rather than go through the whole rigamarole over on the Bulletin Board site...I'll post my observation here. I'm working with a pattern that I designed many years ago for a dog breeder who wanted a dog on a quilt. Not wanting to do just that, I incorporated a shih tzu head and face in the centre of the quilt and placed sprays of flowers around it. No, I don't have the shih tzu head pattern any longer. But I've tried the newer methods of paper applique and it's darned near driven me crazy. So I'm doing it my 'old' way, the traditional way and I know now why people try to paper applique...the fabric is not worth a pinch of coon shit, if you'll pardon my language. I started quiltmaking in the early 1960's. The cotton, 100%, back then was of such a good weave, not full of chemical crap and resins and it didn't wobble around under the needle. This cotton now isn't worth the powder to blow it's brains out. Can you tell I'm frustrated?! @#*%&@ The quality just isn't there in the cloth we are using now.

Rosey

2 Comments:

At July 31, 2007 at 4:18 AM , Blogger Lavinia said...

GMTA, Rosie. I just said the other day, fabric now seems to be more and more ravelly, don't remember it ravelling like it does now. Lavinia

 
At July 31, 2007 at 7:14 AM , Blogger anna in spain said...

And we won't discuss the "stretch factor"...a friend of mine brought me some cotton cloth from Texas, I specified 100% cotton and it stretched on the bias to the place I honestly thought it was a synthetic knit. I ended up trading it to a friend for a book I wanted, of equivalent value.

Quilting is a dying art because they're trying to kill us.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home