Thursday, August 16, 2007

BATTLE OF BULDGE(S)

Weighed in at WW today and have now lost 7.8 lbs since Aug.9. I'm so pleased and intend to stick with it. The new "Core" program is just the thing for me. I'm still not getting the exercise I need but am working on it. The outdoor hiking with Shadow will pick up as soon as it cools down here.

Speaking of cooling down the temperature in downtown Sylva was 100 degrees as I was driving to a Dept. on Aging board meeting today. It was 3:30 PM. It is now 8:30 PM and the temperature has plummeted to 79. We thought we were getting drought relief for a week or two in July but the grass, what's left of it, is crunching underfoot again. I'm having to water shrubs again also. It makes me a bit apprehensive to do that as I am dependent on my well and I'm sure it's suffering from lack of rain.

I feel for all those folks from FL who come here to avoid the severe summer heat but they just traded a headache for an upset stomach as the old Alka-Seltzer ad used to say.

Anna is right about hydration. Lots of water is the ticket in the heat and it aids with the weight loss two. WW has a minimum six glasses a day requirement. I usually exceed that. I heard on NPR this morning that after looking at the deaths that are occurring during this heat wave the people who shower most frequently and keep hydrated are the ones least likely to succumb. They also found that there are some elderly folks living alone who have air conditioners have failed to turn them on. If you have a neighbor of a certain age be sure to check on them. I am so fortunate to have water that is as good as any store bought water. I just keep using the bottles until they are about to fall apart and then get a few new ones. If you don't have AC and are miserable jump into the shower and cool down. In other words "Cool it, Man".

Jane in the oven in NC

2 Comments:

At August 16, 2007 at 10:08 PM , Blogger Doris W. in TN said...

jane, I wondered if your area was as hot and drought-stricken. Right now it is 10:10 p.m. and 91° F. I am ever so grateful for A/C. I hear No. Alabama, where Laura in AL lives, is in worse condition than we are. Hang in there.

 
At August 17, 2007 at 5:58 AM , Blogger Laura in Alabama said...

The entire state of Alabama has been declared a disaster area. This too shall pass..., and pray for rain in reasonable quantities. We don't need floods now.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home