Thursday, July 12, 2007

Turn off the wren!

This is NOT a complaint. We have two little house wrens who are busy making a nest at this time of year (July 12) for what must be another batch of babies and they've chosen a decorative but sturdily-made hand-made wren house nailed to the corner of my vegetable garden low-to-the-ground cedar rail fence just outside our kitchen window. They sing from morning to night. At first I was delighted to hear them singing all day long and thought it miraculous that I was privileged enough to have this happen in my life. How extraordinary. Now, after three days of being seranaded, I'm wondering who will turn the bird off!

And in the split second of one minute, I sat down in my studio, at 6:12 a.m., looked to the north over the valley, which is getting increasingly more difficult because the trees have grown so in the nineteen years we've lived here, to see the hot air balloon scooting across the sky at a fast clip, which is unusual in itself because it launches one line to the east and hardly ever attains that height or pace this close to launch. Beside it but naturally some distance away, in sky-terms, flew a small aircraft in the opposite direction. More flights taking place at my bird-feeder directly outside my window which I overlook at the computer...blue jays and thos dreaded grackles for whom I wish to take a cannon and blow up...they are such huge hogs and leave few seeds for other birds coming into my feeder (and thankfully, Phyllis, we don't have the deer problem eating us out of house and home like you do in Minn.). Flight seems to be the operative word for today.

We have guests from North Yorkshire today and a delightful couple they are, making me wish that I could hop a plane and visit their area. I preferred the north of England to the south though both are beautiful. They live not far from where Heartbeat is filmed.

We've turned from meltingly hot to putting a duvet on the bed last night...up, down, like a woman in menopause. And yesterday, the day of a good friend's funeral, a joyful but sadly draining morning...my friend went to sleep Thurs. night and he didn't wake up Friday morning. A sobering reminder to enjoy our time this side of the grass.

And what I need is a grackle-swatter...a long-armed fly swatter just to shoo them away from my bird seed, darned things.

Rosey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home