Monday, February 12, 2007

EVERY DAY UNDERSTANDING

is what it's all about Heather, isn't it. Count your blessings. Al and I looked at each other about a month before our 25th and for about thirty seconds thought about a cruise. We both had this sort of feeling of social coercion. That's what you're supposed to do. It turned out we both thought that would be a bore and we'd each gain ten pounds. So .... we threw ourselves a heck of a party admonishing our guests that no gifts would be accepted. Otherwise anniversaries meant a nice dinner out usually with friends whose anniversary was the next day. We never did gifts, just silly and usually slightly naughty. One year the friends and we exchanged the exact same card.

The temps here are on the rise which means 100% chance of rain tomorrow. Good day to finish the binding on the current wip. That is, after I do the annual physical which includes the fast so the blood work can be done without another trip to town. I'm a bit nervous about that as I've been experiencing some major incidents of what I call the wobbles when breakfast is delayed. Just a few bits of something high in protein clears it immediately. It will be interesting to see what the blood sugar level is. Yikes, with the GI doc telling me to consume 30 grams of fiber a day if I have to really cut back on carbs I'll have a problem. Oh well, won't count chickens before their time.

I'm so glad that I don't live in my DM's home town and you all should too. The only time anyone hears about Oswego, NY is on the weather channel. That's the county that is buried right now in lake effect snow and there is another foot or so predicted for tomorrow. I have to call my cousin in Central Square in that area and pull her chain a bit. Actually, come to think of it I have three other cousins in Buffalo too.

Sara, if your genealogical interest is famine immigrants, check Oswego. Mine arrived at the port of Oswego via Kingston, On. An Irish genealogist told me that the cheapest passage from Cork City and Cobh, the chief departure points, was to Canada and more starving Irish entered through Oswego than Boston or NYC in the late 1840s which is when all my mother's people arrived. There is a county historian in each county in NY as well. The one in Oswego county told me that if you stood in the middle of Bridge St. (the main drag that traversed the Oswego River to the other side of town) in 1865 and shouted "Hey, Bridget", half the women in Oswego would have responded. Several of them would have been related to me. I recall my mother saying something about having cousins in North Carolina and I stupidly never pursued it. Oswego isn't so heavily Irish any more but there are still three Catholic churches there in a modest sized city. What little research I've done has been there in church and public records. I didn't follow up on it and still hope to learn my way around to doing a lot on line which wasn't available fifteen years ago. Also, Sara, don't overlook Charleston. I think a lot of Irish immigrants arrived there too.

Jane ready for bed. Sleep tight, ladies, and don't let the bed bugs bite.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home