Friday, April 11, 2014

I'm hoping this is not an infringement on my B&B guest's privacy but she has been coming to us for many years now, attending the Ontario Alpaca Association show competition here at the Fairgrounds and she is here again today.  This picture, taken not long ago, of their country home in the Maritimes, in Canada, shows the three 'boys' they have trailered all the way from the east coast and then some.  They are beautiful.  M. has bred carefully and deliberately so, in her choice of the lines she's bred into when she began a number of years ago.  M and her husband have checked in and gone back to the show to rescue what might be left of these three...they were collapsing with laughter when they arrived.  Apparently the 'boys' had never seen so many alpacas before, living on a small country property, and they were busy showing off and humping each other.  M said it was nothing but an embarrassment as they stirred up other males and they were all making a ruckus in their pens as well.  Alpacas don't look big but believe me, when you flip one over on a grooming table you realize that they really are rather large animals.  And of course, I thought you'd enjoy looking at the snow.  They still have a great deal of snow at home.  Here, we are having our warmest day yet, likely into the 60's F. which should help melt some of the ice and snow on the property.  It's pretty tenacious where it's mounded up though.  What a winter.
Rosey

11 Comments:

At April 12, 2014 at 1:01 PM , Blogger Doris W. in TN said...

All that snow makes me glad I live in the South, in spite of our summer heat and humidity. ;-)

 
At April 12, 2014 at 4:55 PM , Blogger Bee said...

they are so beautiful,we have quite a few in NZ and my favourite is a photo from when people take their animals to church to be blessed. One photobombed the minister and the look on his face when he could feel the hot breath on his neck is priceless. We also have a few who visit the hospitals as friends.

 
At April 13, 2014 at 8:09 AM , Blogger RoseyP said...

Doris, when you are sneezing your head off with allergies and complaining about the heat in Tennessee, I'll post a nice cooling picture of winter here at home in the country where this winter nearly did us all in.
Rosey

 
At April 13, 2014 at 2:03 PM , Blogger RoseyP said...

Bee, are you sure that alpacas are allowed in hospitals? Holy cow, I watched the young fellow in the foreground of this picture this morning rolling and jumping up and down with a leash in his owner/handler's hands. He was a young one though, so perhaps they gain in manners as they grow older. They look cuddly but they sure are NOT cuddly. This one broke his owner's glasses in the ring when he jumped up and butted her in the face.
Rosey

 
At April 13, 2014 at 2:46 PM , Blogger Bee said...

I will check!!!!

 
At April 14, 2014 at 6:23 PM , Blogger Sara in Florida said...

Oh, wow. I've never seen an Alpaca live. But I know knitters love their wool.
Sara in Fla.

 
At April 15, 2014 at 12:47 PM , Blogger RoseyP said...

Alpacas are most interesting. But as I mentioned, they are small but not so small, strong, very strong and can be harmful to the handler...and spit....well, they are of the camelid family. I'd be interested if these animals are taken into hospitals for visits...Bee....
The wool, Sara, is glorious. And not cheap. $30 a skein but what gorgeous colours, hand-dyed.
Rosey

 
At April 15, 2014 at 4:44 PM , Blogger Bee said...

just checked they do go to hospitals and I was told just last week one went to an old folks home for about 1 hour and three hours later was still there enjoying himself.

 
At April 16, 2014 at 5:16 AM , Blogger RoseyP said...

Good grief, Bee, I'll have to pass that information along to my alpaca breeders. That is a first. Imagine the resident's pleasure in seeing these animals up close. They are SOOOO cute but...I've tried to hug them and they back off making that little noise back in their throats, like help me this woman is hugging me, what shall I do....and of course, their breath is not good when they spit. They LOOK cute but they are animals.
Now my Aussie dogs...they let me hug them and they don't spit back.
Rosey

 
At April 16, 2014 at 6:40 AM , Blogger Bee said...

I didn't ask but perhaps our alpacas are in a single home and are more pets,if they are on their own they would be more placid. By the way I phoned the Alpaca Assn, and that is where my knowledge comes from.if you have one very tame alpaca treated as a household pet would probably act very differently. Who knows

 
At April 16, 2014 at 4:58 PM , Blogger Bee said...

google therapy alpacas. Also try images of them one has a poodle cut!!!!! now i am going to shut up. Not trying to be funny but I have enjoyed the fun of the chase,one on a surfboard with its owner ,several dressed up enjoy.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home