Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Another vacationer checking in...

We just returned from a trip as well.  We were in France for two weeks - Paris for several days on both ends of the trip and  a week in Provence in Southern France right in the middle of wine country.  I am going to try to attach some pictures  The "quilt" picture is actually the floor in one of the areas of the Louve...quilters see quilts everywhere.   The other pictures are from the market in Avignon where we took a cooking class.  A true feast for the eyes.



On a very sad note, my mom passed away while we were in France.  As I mentioned several times on the board, she was legally blind but still quilting.  In fact three days before she left us she said if someone would push her over to her machine she could get one more block done.    A very determined and amazing woman.  We have a real treasure tho.  While in the ursing home she was working on string-pieced blocks.  One top is almost finished and there are 40 some blocks left.  My quilting sister and I have some fun ideas of things we can make with them...Joleen in Minnesota

7 Comments:

At June 12, 2012 at 8:27 AM , Blogger RoseyP said...

Oh, Joleen, what wonderful photos and how they liven up this Chat Board. Thank you for sharing them with us and can we hear about your trip to France? I'm sorry to hear about your mother but what a wonderful woman she must have been to feel that she wanted to make one more block...isn't that the story of a quilter's life...just one more block to make. If one believed in such things, I could see your mom sitting down at her sewing machine now and doing just that...sewing one more block.
I love the pictures of the fresh produce. I'm smiling and thanks, Joleen.
Rosey

 
At June 12, 2012 at 9:51 AM , Blogger Mary in Oregon said...

Joleen, I'm so very sorry to hear about your mother passing away. She sounded like an incredibly remarkable woman. I LOVE the story about the request to be pushed to the machine so she could work on one more block. Amazing.

Also, thanks for the lovely travel pictures. Great to be around so much beauty, eh?

Take care of yourself,
Hugz from Mary in Oregon

 
At June 12, 2012 at 4:45 PM , Blogger Marion in NZ. said...

A big thank you to you Joleen ! Those photos are amazing . Sorry to hear about your mother but encouraging to know that she was sewing to the end !

Marion.

 
At June 12, 2012 at 4:58 PM , Blogger Marion in NZ. said...

P.S. When I was in that part of the world on holiday, I saw "quilts" everywhere. The mosaic floors are quite inspirational !

Marion.

 
At June 12, 2012 at 5:24 PM , Blogger Jill from Portland said...

I'm so sorry Joleen. Your Mom sounds like a great lady,a girl after our own hearts!
Great pictures, thanks for sharing.

 
At June 12, 2012 at 6:59 PM , Blogger Fran (Sth Aust) said...

So sorry about your mum, Joleen. A quilter to the end - I love it! Are you going to make a quilt with the tile pattern from the Louvre??? Fran

 
At June 16, 2012 at 8:25 PM , Blogger Doris W. in TN said...

Joleen - I am so sorry about your mother. You are so lucky to have the blocks she pieced. The quilt will be a comfort to you.

I love the photos from your trip to France, too. What a beautiful tile floor in the Louvre, and gorgeous pics from Avignon. I visted Avignon in 2001 and loved it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home