Saturday, June 2, 2012

Cottonwoods are blooming

and we have to keep the garage door closed to prevent drifts of fluff which we have to vaccum.  Half of the people I meet sneeze before saying hello.

School is almost out so the household is busy taking kids to do last minute things, planning summer camps, summer work schedules, etc etc etc.  Our area has had a number of contract negotiations with threats of strikes during the  last month, so there has been some tension about whether or not the school year is finished or will finish.  Everything is settled and we hope next year will only have budget problems.  Several of the activities the grands are involved in will be raising money to continue this fall.  I know water polo isn't critical to education but my GD loves it, so that will be my focus.

I'm looking for a big table to baste a queen sized quilt for hand quilting.  It wouldn't be hard if I thought I could finish the project in a day, but I know that I'm not likely to be comfortable sitting in a chair for 8 hours or more so the top  sits in a box all marked and pressed while I make some more tops for charity quilts.

Jane, I thought long and hard about coming to the NC show, but I think I have just about enough energy to do the one day at Sisters, providing the forecast isn't for 95 plus temps on the Saturday of the show.  Anyone else planning to go?



4 Comments:

At June 2, 2012 at 6:34 PM , Blogger RoseyP said...

Cottonwoods....what a lovely name for a tree even if it is a nuisance, Betty. I love hearing about where other people live and what it's like. Right now I'm looking through my studio window at several very tall white pines...graceful and yes, a nuisance dropping needles into our swimming pool. Beyond that, apple trees and hawthorn trees which are about to bloom with tiny with flowers spangling its thorny branches. Get those thorns in your lawn tractor tire and it's off to the tire man in town with a punctured tire. Right now, everything is so green...all values of green, light to dark in ranges of yellow green to green. I imagine cottonwood trees having big puffs of white blowing off them that tumble about like tumbleweeds.
Rosey

 
At June 3, 2012 at 10:08 AM , Blogger Jill from Portland said...

This time of year I feel like I'm wearing sunglasses all the time. The dark rich new growth is truly amazing. We will probably go to the "Thousand Acres" dog park today. Isn't that a great name! It's quite a sight as I believe every dog in Portland will be there. It's on the Sandy River so there will be plenty of Cottonwoods!

 
At June 3, 2012 at 10:11 AM , Blogger Jill from Portland said...

Oh, I meant to write that yes Betty we will be going to Sisters, just over night though. I wouldn't miss it. I was going to put my minature
quilt in the NC show, but I was a day short.

 
At June 5, 2012 at 8:46 AM , Blogger Mary in Oregon said...

I too hope to be at Sisters. Want to meet at the usual place or ???

Mary

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home