Friday, April 27, 2012

update

Lots happening here.  Too tired to post most nights.
Mom has had a really hard time, poor dear.  After getting up 4 times to pee, and calling me to help, between Wed. night and Thurs. AM she got up at 6:30AM thinking she was going for a car ride.  Again she fell on her face, broke nose the 2nd time and has 2 black eyes (again).  Called 911, took her to ER again.  This time I told the hospice that this just couldn't go on!  I insisted that she be placed in long-term care from the ER.  By 3:00 afternoon yesterday there was an assigned bed for her in a place about 10 miles away.  Not the fancy, pretty place close to me, but safety is more important at this point.  Medicare/ hospice will be paying for 98% of this with her Social Security monthly check being given over.  After checking her in yesterday, I stayed about 1 hr. and came home.  DH and I were both worn out.
After a long morning of filling out paperwork, FAXing things, researching her bank acounts, etc. I went back to see her about 11:00AM.  Thought the place isn't fancy, they seem to be taking good care of her.  I had 3 people assist me in getting her into the clean clothes I brought. (shared room with 1 other person)  Then lunch was brought in.  We went outside in the courtyard to eat.  Nice trees, deck, lots of shade.  The food was good, baked fish, green beans, potatoes, and a desert.  At least as good as what I would cook at home.
Came back home after 2 hrs. and did more of her laundry, to return tomorrow.
Good news front-my brother's 3 days of blood work show no signs of leukemia.  I'm counting this a a miracle, as he was not given much hope.  He still has pneumonia and some infections, but much better.
Have not done much disaster planning here, hurricane season is still 1 month away, but am thankful that the 2 times I had to drive to ER I had a 3/4 full tank of gas.  The first time was at 5:15AM so really glad I had gas and didn't have to stop in the dark anywhere.  Fly-lady gets the credit as I remember her saying to fill up and go to car wash (or do it yourself) on Fridays.  Will have to stock up on bottled water, propane for the gas grill, etc. before June 1.
Getting late, more another time.
Sara in Fla.

1 Comments:

At April 27, 2012 at 9:46 PM , Blogger Fran (Sth Aust) said...

glad to know that your mum is in long-term care and that it looks OK. Good food is important! Great news about DB too. Hugs.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home