Saturday, January 28, 2012

Yum yum !!

That sounds yummy Rosey. What a spoilt boy !

I'm feeling a "connection" with you Canadians at the moment. My afternoon yesterday, turned out to be as I'd hoped it would be. A quiet afternoon with the Louise Penny book. After lunch I took it outside to my favourite sunny/shady spot, along with the local newspaper, preparing for a quiet read. ( it's amazing how much more time I seem to have to myself, when the DH is focused on a project ..) Anyway...I started with the local rag, just to see what was happening in the district. Imagine my surprise when I saw the story about a "captivating new art form for a local artist"...Encaustic painting ! I nearly fell of my chair. This lady had visited Canada last year and, while there, did a course with an encaustic artist. When she returned home, she turned the conservatory into a studio and has become addicted ! She goes on to tell how the technique has been around since at least 100 to 300 AD when it was used to create death masks for the Egyptian mummies... She explains the technique thus: " the coloured beeswax is melted onto wood, canvas or card and then blended and shaped, using a range of tools, the wax becomes your paint. " She uses her travel iron and her little chefs blow torch (!!) Sounds fun to me . I'd never heard the word encaustic before Rosey posted the photos. Now I'm what my DH would call a I.E. (instant expert...) Feeling a nice warm fuzzy, having connected this way with a fellow BB poster, I then resumed reading my book. Only one page into it (ch 6) I read that one of the characters "picked up her book. Ngaio Marsh..." Ngaio (a Maori name pronounced Nigh oh) Marsh is a celebrated Christchurch author ! ) Another warm fuzzy....

The table is taking shape nicely in the garage. Seems likely that we will either have to take a wall down or get a helicopter in to move it. Alternatively we could leave it in the garage and do our outside entertaining there..

Back to my book..I'm up to Ch 33 now and I'm still not sure whodonit !

Marion.

2 Comments:

At January 29, 2012 at 9:40 AM , Blogger RoseyP said...

A cold mashed potato sandwich is the standard family joke of a fifth generation Scot. Not sure if others would appreciate it quite as much as he does.

Louise Penny has a website, Marion and you can follow her upcoming novel which is due out this year; her ninth, I think though I may be wrong. She's a wonderful writer and has a sense of humour and whimsy in real life that comes through her writing in her books.
Rosey

 
At January 29, 2012 at 3:01 PM , Blogger Marion in NZ. said...

Thanks for that info. Rosey. I'll click onto the website later. Finished the book last night, loved the character portraiture...don't we all know people like that ?!? Part of the pleasure of living in a small rural community..!
Marion.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home