Saturday, November 12, 2011

checking in

Due to new text books, new state and federal laws affecting teaching, new ridiculously "tougher" standards, new requirements for students to take math courses that are beyond their training and interests, end-of-course and ACT testing for students who will never go to college (and don't want to), and teaching as many different courses as I have classes, I have been stressed out to the max this year. I am sorry I haven't posted more, as I know the numbers of posts have really dropped lately. I'm hoping to do better once the end-of-course testing is over for this semester, as next semester should be somewhat better. I can't remember if I've come any closer to wanting to quit a job forever than I have this year. Mind you, it's not the fault of the school, the parents, the administration, or even most of the students, and I'm not saying that just because this is a public forum.

Anyway, what caused me to post is this...over the last 4 years the county has had at least 5-6 students killed in traffic accidents. A cell phone was involved in all but one of them, including one where the mother was driving. Please don't drive distracted....
Laura in Alabama
PS. I still read with interest, love looking at the quilts, and hope to rejoin the conversation when I can.

4 Comments:

At November 12, 2011 at 7:25 PM , Blogger RoseyP said...

Laura, I sometimes think that just the few of us who do post may have the possibility of boring others. I know lots read the board who don't post and I think (my soapbox here) that if you're going to enjoy reading the board, which many do, why don't you take the time to post. Yes, people are busy. But so am I. In my 19th year of running a bed & breakfast, it was my busiest yet and I'm no spring chicken. By the end of the summer, my internal works were so wound up that I'm just now trying to unwind. And that for me is no easy task. So it's nice when people do post because I get bored looking at my own and I don't want the board being taken off the cyber waves because of lack of participation.
Rosey

 
At November 13, 2011 at 7:09 AM , Blogger Laura in Alabama said...

In my case, it's not so much the being busy, but the stress. When I'm on the edge of tears most of the time, I often don't have anything I'm willing to share.
I will try to do better:)

 
At November 13, 2011 at 4:31 PM , Blogger RoseyP said...

Laura, I hear you. And, I don't say that in a patronizing way. I hope things ease up but from the sounds of it, it may not. It's why people close to retirement, retire early, I'm sure. Thanks for sharing this and thanks for posting. You wonder that it is all worth it in the long run, don't you.
Rosey

 
At November 13, 2011 at 6:32 PM , Blogger Laura in Alabama said...

I wonder if it's worth it, and then some "child" gets a concept and runs with it...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home