Friday, September 9, 2011

Catching Up

This is so cool! I have missed being able to stop in and chat.

Life is incredibly busy around here. The Cat Rescue work takes more time than a real job, but it is so satisfying! This year we have had so many firsts and it is pretty exciting to be part of all this. Last year I applied for a grant from PetSmart Charities and we got that in January. That one is to spay/neuter about 85 ferals from one big colony. Then I put in a proposal in the Pepsi Refresh Everything Challenge and after 4 long months of voting every day -- and getting a few thousand other people to also vote daily! -- we won a grant that has allowed us to set up a program for people living below the poverty line to get their cats spayed/neutered for $15.00. This is fantastic, since there are no other programs for low cost spays in this area. But what a lot of work! Of course, I do have a number of foster kittens here again this year and am dealing with the usual operations of the rescue, so free time is a bit scarce!

Quilting is not happening much, although I do meet with my quilt group every Tuesday morning and stitch away at my Grandmother's Flower Garden. I pieced a king size top at our retreat in June and have actually sent it out to be custom quilted. It is the only way it will ever get done, I fear. And I dearly love the quilt, so I am trying not to think about the cost. It was made from batik strips that my Tuesday group swapped for a year, plus a few more from my stash, and it ended up 112" X 112" square. (I will try to attach a picture of the top.)

Gucci is still a wonderful dog, although she is slowing down a bit and can no longer keep up with Coco, who is only 2 years old and very fast. They are such good friends, though, and do everything together. Last Spring I took them both to a Rally Obedience class and they just loved it. Standard Poodles are such great dogs!

Now I am going to look for a picture of the 'Athena" quilt and then I will cross my fingers and try to post this...

Jean

3 Comments:

At September 9, 2011 at 10:11 PM , Blogger Irene said...

beautiful Jean, love the colors.

 
At September 9, 2011 at 10:12 PM , Blogger Irene said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At September 11, 2011 at 1:17 PM , Blogger RoseyP said...

Very attractive, Jean. Nice to see you posting as well.
RoseyP

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home