Saturday, March 12, 2011

you asked for some spring color...

I am sending up prayers for all those suffering right now. It seems like half the world is suffering from earthquakes, floods, tsunamis, ice melt off causing flooding, tornadoes, etc.
Here is some color and the hope of spring.This was taken today at the Huntsville Botanical Gardens. I have no idea what it is; it was on the nature trail, so I would guess some kind of a wild flower.
The church across the street, where I walk my dogs, decided to thin their trees. They really do have too many trees planted too close together. Unfortunately, they took out all but one of my favorites. They took out the two trees that shaded their parking lot in the afternoon. They were in planters, and the roots were destroying the planters.
There were also two pawlonia "Empress" trees planted right next to one of their buildings, and they removed both of them. I can't figure out where to get one of my own to plant on my property, as they are listed as nuisance trees in this area. The two across the street are the only ones I've ever seen in my neighborhood. Not too much of a nuisance... They bloomed with the most beautiful lavender flowers in the spring. They were imported from China a couple hundred years ago. I bet the church had no idea how much that wood was worth either. Traditionally, a pawlonia was planted upon the birth of a daughter. They grow so fast that by the time she was old enough to be married, they would cut it down and make the dower chest and other wooden items from "her" tree. I understand there is still quite a market in this country for the wood, as people of Chinese heritage still want chests made of the wood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home