Saturday, January 8, 2011

Louise Penny, Canadian Author


Doris, you've come close to my heart...I discovered Louise Penny several years ago in Coles (Chapters) Book Store; her first book, Dead Cold/Fatal Grace in the US stores. I immediately read her second book and became an instant fan. Her writing is very good and her insight into people's characters is also very good. Inspector Gamache, her main character, is supported by many others whose depths Louise probes in varying books. She is working on her seventh book, come this March, which will be set in a Quebec monastery. We have a wonderful independent book shop here in town and the owner and I are friends. I began to urge her to see if Louise would come to our small town and she has, not once but three times. This is Louise sitting at the table after she gave a talk...yours truly with the fuzzy white hair. I love her characters and the way she developes her storyline. But, start with her first book so that you become familiar with her characters.
What is happening...snow again in Atlanta? And Jane, I know people wonder how you could live on the side of a mountain, alone, but I imagine that it's just a picture with your snow. The quiet solitude of the country is great but it can sometimes drive you slightly batty with cabin fever towards the end of the wintertime.

Rosey

4 Comments:

At January 8, 2011 at 9:17 PM , Blogger Doris W. in TN said...

Rosey - thank you for the personal recommendation . . . and that photo is really nice one. Wow, I am impressed that you have met her. I'm going to order the first of the books from amazon. I always prefer to read books in the order they are written, as character development is more meaningful and sometimes understandable. :o)

 
At January 8, 2011 at 9:34 PM , Blogger Doris W. in TN said...

P.S. The first book in her series, "Still Life" is out of print. Some Amazon sellers are selling signed copies for shocking prices. I'm seeing a current range of $600.00 down to $90.00 bids. You are sitting on a gold mine.

 
At January 8, 2011 at 10:04 PM , Blogger Mary in Oregon said...

How very interesting to read about Louise Penny here. I was given her two first books at Christmas. I loved the first book and am slowly savoring the second. I should simply order the others via Amazon as I know I will love them all. I agree, Rosey, she knows how to build a story line and her insights into people is amazingly fantastic.
Mary in Oregon

 
At January 8, 2011 at 10:35 PM , Blogger Mary in Oregon said...

PS - Great picture, Rosey. :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home