Wednesday, December 15, 2010

cold here too/

Heat! In Dec. in Florida. Who'd have thunk it?
Mon. was wild wind day, Tues. calmer but still cold. Today started out about 25, got up to 50 by mid-day. Burrr. I covered the Angel's Trumpet, but the winds blew the covers off. The Bleeding Heart got hit also. So far the Phils. have done OK.

My party went well Monday night. Suprised that anyone came out in the cold and wind. Lots of Russian tea, (can I have the Russian tea cookie receipe?) my version of cheeze straws, which are discs, fruit patter, petti fours, and scones. The fruit patter and petti fours came from the Publix (grocery store) which is close by. I was still exausted, and it was today before I recovered. My friends and neighbors were generous, and we had lots of diapers and a nice crib to donate.
I thought I was doing the right thing in sending the grandkids squall jackets from Land's End.
They have arrived in N.D. and DD says they are not really for "winter" there, but more for late winter and spring. The rating was for 20degrees to -10 F. Evidently that is just a guestimate. I called the Land's End customer service, and actually got a live person with "service".
She was in Wisconsin and suggested that DD return them and get the down jackets, which are the same price. She had bought the down ones for her grandsons.
Due to the cold snap DH is working late hours again. I'm trying to remember that this pays the bills, and gives me time to write out cards, etc. His birthday is Sat. so we are hoping to go to St. Augustine for dinner, then walk around and see the sights. Rain is forcasted, but hopefully it will be after 10PM or so.
Time to get the laundry into the drawers, not just sitting around.
That WAS a lot of cookies!
Sara in Fla.

2 Comments:

At December 15, 2010 at 7:22 PM , Blogger Kathi in Idaho said...

It shouldn't hurt your bleeding heart to get cold. We grew it when we lived in Pierce and it thrived after winters with 12 feet of snow. It was so prolific that I couldn't get rid of it fast enough, even though I dug out gallons and gallons to give away.

Kathi

 
At December 16, 2010 at 12:08 PM , Blogger Joleen in MN said...

The cookies that most people call Russian Tea Cakes we always called Crescents because that is the shape my mom always made. Here is our family's recipe: 1 1/4 c. butter, 2 1/2 c. flour, 1/4 c. sugar. Mix this up like you would do pie crust using your hands. Then add 1/2 t. vanilla and 1/2 c. chopped walnuts. Form into balls about 1" in diameter. Bake at 325 for 20 minutes. As you take them off the pan, roll them in powdered sugar.
Joleen in MN

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home