Monday, June 7, 2010

SARA

I can sympathize with your anxiety. I know that, if I live much longer, I'll have to give up my mountain home with the night sky unobscured by light pollution, very little road noise, the ability to let my best friend come and go through the doggie door without ever worrying about her going all the way to the road or bothering neighbors and my wonderful neighbors and quilt pals. Sadly, we are often the last person to recognize when it's time to make that move. With the bust real estate market, I would never get enough for my present house and fifty acres to support me in the purchase of a condo or rent in assisted living. I will feel a lot more secure financially if and when the market picks up. DH and I had always planned that the real estate investment would see us through that time of our lives. It turned out to not be an issue for DH but with all my aches and pains, as far as my doctor and I know, there are no life threatening conditions hanging over my head. I just deplore my increasingly declining short term memory and difficulty keeping up with the chores required for independent living. I promised my girls a long time ago that when I have to make a move it will be to somewhere close to one of them so all vacation time and money won't be spent by them running back and forth. I'm quite a bit older than you, Sarah, but I suppose your DH's recent medical problems have him agonizing over the heavy lifting required for independent home ownership and concerns over your welfare should he predecease you.

On that cheery note I will add that my beloved Shadow suddenly refuses even to eat her favorite treats and then this evening I've observed her repeatedly putting her face toward the water in her bowl and not drinking. The hair under her chin is wet so she's been trying. She is obviously thirsty. She walks with her tail down or even under her belly. Normally she carries it fairly high and often wagging for no apparent reason. I filled a water bottle that has a sort of nipple top and stuck that under her tongue and very gently poured small amounts in water into her mouth. A lot dribbled out but she did seem to be swallowing. I'll call the vet first thing in the AM. If there is a mass in her throat so some such thing it may be her time and I'll come home alone to the home I've shared with her. I left the house fairly early this morning and gave her the usual "bye-bye cookies" which were untouched when I got home this afternoon. That has NEVER happened before even on days she didn't eat her regular meal. I'm sure she's suffering but have no idea how to help her or even if I can. Two days ago she was pestering me to throw the tennis ball out the door for her to retrieve. Quien sabe. It's going to be a long night. There is an emergency vet clinic 75 miles away in Asheville but I'm sure that she will still be treatable in the morning if she is treatable at all.

On that cheerful note I will bid you all good evening. I'll report on Shadow as soon as I know anything. I'm so grateful to have my cyber quilt friends as well as my local ones on whom I can unburden my concerns.

Sorry for the downer post.

Jane

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home