Sunday, June 6, 2010

I understand

Sara, I think that change, which is inevitable in this life, is very hard to adjust to for myself, as well. I like nesting and my home has always been very important to me. I don't have to travel to by happy but I do need certain things if it's at all possible. One, in particular, is a room in which I can work with my designs and sewing; windows surrounding me and something I may not be able to recreate...the country around me. I have all of this right now but age will limit myself and himself in being here with the amount of work required to keep it up. So, yes, I can relate to your concerns and more the fact that an unhappy husband is not pleasant to live with.

I wonder how men might feel if women made them unhappy because of their surroundings instead of the other way round. But, the bottom line is that one of us will be left alone in this life and to me, it has to be a compromise whereby I can grow old alone if I need to.

And then I look at Ceilidh's ashes sitting on my bedroom windowbox where she slept every night and in one moment on May 24th just past, she was put to sleep. Geordie, who is older and nearly 15, was the one I expected to go first, yet he is soldiering on. It was not the natural order of things but then life often doesn't work out that way. Having to adjust to change is hard. Look at Fran with her sons all scattered about; look at any of us with children scattered about and not living near home. The old days where you grew up around a village or town and stayed there, your family and yourselves as you aged, was, to me, the best arrangement of family living. The Grausdoddy Houses (sp?) of the Mennonites and Amish where the elders in the family moved to after being in the farmhouse...attached often to the main house, is a good example of the nucleous of family life.

I wonder that women really assert themselves enough to be considered equal partners in decisions such as where to move and into what surroundings or do they just try to make do and adjust as we often have done and do. Like Scarlet O'Hara...I'll think about that tomorrow. Today is all any of us have.

And today, here in Southern Ontario, it's raining cats and dogs and looking to be that way all day.

Rosey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home