Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Well, here I am barely functional. Before heading for the wedding in CA a dose of bronchitis hit that took two separate rounds of anti biotic to beat. I felt so puny I stopped the exercise regimen and began eating anything that presented itself with minimal effort on my part. We all know the consequences of that.

The trip was grueling. I’ll never fly out of Asheville again. One as to leave in the pre-dawn hours just for the 25 minute connection to
Atlanta. Then the the 2.5 hour layover providing plenty of time for breakfast, then the 3.5 hr. flight to Salt Lake City then the last leg to Ontario, CA. DD and DSIL both live east of LA and only a half hour at most from that airport. LAX can mean a three hour drive in the usual day time traffic. Anyway, it all meant two nights in motel in Asheville.

At just about the time I planned to leave home with enough time to check into motel and have a leisurely dinner and very early bed as I had to get up at 4AM I realized my 5.5 year old refrigerator wasn’t working. Lights and motor were okay and sure enough, after calling six service businesses, waiting a bit over and hour the guy came and rendered the dreaded diagnosis of a dead compressor. The prognosis was pretty bad too. After market compressor would cost $400 with a one year warranty and almost that much in labor and he advised just replacing the whole thing. Remember the days of heritage refrigerators that lived beyond 20 years and passed from mother to daughter? He says those days are gone for good. Ever since they stopped using Freon gas as a refrigerant some air pollution has been traded for land fills full of shiny 5-7 year old refrigerators. Looks like the EPA traded a headache for an upset stomach. He asked for $45 for the trip and headed for home. I cleaned up the melted berry juice, called the woman (friend, neighbor) who cleans for me and asked her to come over at her leisure and take what was edible and toss the rest.

I came home to the refrigerator problem staring me in the face and suffering from jet lag and post party syndrome to find the @#%^ telephone not working due to the recent rains. Whenever the ground is wet which has been the case for a week, there is a deafening buzz on the line rendering the phone useless. Verizon said Friday that someone would be here today and it is now 5:29 PM! Unfortunately, the weather prediction for the rest of the week is for sunny skies. So I will have phone service but have to go through this all over again.

The new refrigerator, purchased on 8/26 with money I really don’t have will allegedly be delivered Thursday, 9/3. In the meantime I am surviving with the Igloo cooler, my little trucker fridge of very little capacity and recently a little dorm room type fridge my beloved cleaning lady and her husband delivered to me. The cooler is actually less than full. I have a little 5 cubic ft. freezer in the garage originally purchased to store the pheasants Al used to bring home from SD. By the way, all the new refrigerators come with a whopping ONE year warranty.

I have a huge collection of polar packs lying around out there from the two years of medication delivered monthly for two years for daily shots for osteoporoses. I trade them out twice a day and am glad the polar packs are so useful because I lost bone density during the two years I was shooting myself at great expense. I’m now doing the annual infusion that Medicare pays for). Any way, I’m out of shape big time and at Weight Watchers last week discovered that I’ve gained TEN pounds since early July. ARRRRGH All I want to do is sleep and watch re-runs of cop shows and chick flicks.

I’m now back on track on the eating regimen but having a very difficult time getting exercise as my hips, especially the left one that has carried the burden of having to favoring the right knee and foot for so long is complaining loudly. As soon as I acquire a bathing suit, heaven forbid, I’ll join the water aerobic program offered to the general public at Western Carolina University down the road.

I’ll take some cheese (reduced fat) with the foregoing whine

Wedding report sometime in the near future.

Jane

3 Comments:

At September 1, 2009 at 7:03 PM , Blogger Mary in Oregon said...

Jane, what a time you've had! Sending hugz,
Mary in Oregon

 
At September 1, 2009 at 7:17 PM , Blogger Sara in Florida said...

Oh, flying is just terrible these days, no matter where you are going to or from.
I'm all in favor of some cheeze and wine!
Hope your DD isn't near the fires.
Sara in Fla.

 
At September 2, 2009 at 4:44 AM , Blogger Lavinia said...

Sorry about your fridge. Ours died while we were gone one time, too, had just gotten home. Local guy wanted a few hundred $$ and charged $75 just to come look at it (also the compressor). Called the 800 number in the fridge book and he fixed it for $45.Go figure.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home