Saturday, July 25, 2009

DISTANT KIDS AND GRANDS

SARAH, I feel your pain. Please make your peace before you DD and family take off. Whatever the bone or bones of contention, set them aside and if they do decide to make the change at least pretend to accept it in good grace. Take the initiative in the peace making or run the risk of them being even more inclined to get out of town. I know from personal experience when Al & I left Michigan. His Mom made her feelings well known about what we were doing "to her" which made us even more anxious to make the change.

I've driven across ND back in '59 when Al had a TDY at Boeing. He'd been there most of the spring and when the school year was over (I was teaching and pregnant with DD#1) he returned to pick me up and we headed out in our '57 VW. We were on US 2 most of the way and it would have been fun but he was under some time pressure. The intestate system was in its infancy and there was nothing other than rt. 2 to take us across the country quite closs to the Canadian border. We found the endless prairie of ND almost maddening. As another Bendix wife said to me in Seattle, "There isn't even a rock to hide behind to pee". I'm sure the intervening 50 years has made a big difference in pee stops at the very least. It will be an interesting adventure for them. Yes, they will freeze their FL fannies off. Don't forget the serious socks. Make some chenille scarves too. Encourage the kids to take up cross country skiing and hockey. The kids might well adapt much faster than the parents.

Re; athletics, Ever since the big race my ailing foot is far worse for the wear. I was unaware of it at the time but I've lost a lot of ground since. I have to wait until 8/31 to see the surgeon. I think doing that event on concrete is the culprit. Unfortunately, after a search this morning, I have been unable to find the prescribed super brace. I will call doc's office Monday and ask them either to make an appt. for me with the PA or, better yet, whenever they have a cancellation.

Limping in NC, Jane

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home