Saturday, November 15, 2008

Too early !

The Santa Claus parade is happening in town today. When I drove into Curves, I looked across the road and all the floats, the fire engine, the ambulances, all had their lights whirling and the fire truck, his horn blowing. I compare this to the Santa Claus parade that I witnessed in the little town further north where I own property and the same sort of thing...the noisy machines and lights twirling and blinking start the parade off. In Toronto as a child, it was not held in November, where the weather may be more receptive to standing around and not freezing hands and toes, but in December when we were dressed warmly in 'leggings', warm overcoats, hats, mitts, scarves...this was part of the fun and anticipation was the standing around in the snowy weather and expecting to get cold. We stamped our feet, wiggled our bodies and generally leaned in closer to our parents who were big and had a much bigger surface to tap into for warmth. I don't remember the noisy machinery with flashing lights either. I remember that our department store, Eaton's, sponsored the parade every year and the work went on for one whole year prior to the parade making storybook floats. The floats would then be loaned out in smaller quantities to the surrounding small towns around the city. It's not like that now. In a way, although my life is certainly heading towards the last post far more quickly than others, I'm glad to have grown up in an age of innocence when Santa was believed in and didn't sit on every street corner or in every shopping mall. There were only two...one at Eaton's Dept. Store and one at Simpson's Dept. Store. Fortunately I wasn't taken to both, so I never asked or got confused how Santa got from one store to the other. It's too early to think of Christmas and with this economy, worrisome.

Rosey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home