Saturday, September 20, 2008

coming up for air ... and checking in

I'll bet y'all thought I fell off the edge of the world. Well, it feels like I have. I hope everyone is doing well here at the BB Chat.

I've been staying extremely busy working in my own personal sweat shop ... er ... sewing up a storm, all related to our son's upcoming wedding in November. I'm making my outfit since ready-to-wear never really fits me well. I finished the jacket a couple weeks ago and have started on the dress. The tailored jacket is done. MAJOR Snoopy Dance.

The dress got put on hold while waiting for some Swarovski "hot-fix" crystals to arrive via online order, so I started a quilt for the kids to hopefully have completed and give to them when they are married. It's not an "heirloom" quilt by any stretch. :o) I'm making the Double Irish Chain, since both kids are of Irish ancestry. The top goes together very fast; I've made this quilt a couple times before. I also am doing the easy machine trapunto (ha ha ha ... spell check is pinging this one. Spell check is not a quilter.) technique, in Hari Walner's wonderful book, and today I just finished basting a layer of batting under each of the 24 feathered wreath motifs I marked this week in the alternate blocks, and will FMQ.

Meanwhile, the back ordered hot-fix crystals arrived in today's mail, so tomorrow I'm back to the dress. That is a deadline item. The quilt can wait if necessary.

LaVinia in TN - was it you asking how we're faring? Thank you for asking. We're all okay, but no thanks to Hurricane Ike, we're having a terrible gasoline crisis. Nashville is receiving 20% of our normal shipments ever since the storm landed, and everyone is driving at 100% business-as-usual and 80 mph down the interstate highway (giving no thought to slowing down to conserve fuel). It's quite a crisis, with the occasional fist fights at gasoline stations, lots of testy tempers, long lines to fill up, and stations selling out in hours. Most stations have absolutely not one drop of gas to sell for days(!), which will spur another sort of economic crisis for them (on top of the national one) because nobody is stopping in to buy their convenience store items, further affecting their cash flow. Right now, a person could burn 1/4 tank of gas, just looking for a station that has gasoline. This, too, will pass ... but we don't know when. I'm making as few car trips as possible, and driving 60 mph on the interstate when I do. I may be grounded next week if DH's cannot fill his car up before he runs out and needs to drive mine to work. The good news is the grocery store is two miles away and I can walk if I need to.

Grace's Retreat - Has it happened yet? Happening right now? I would have loved to attend but . . . DS's wedding and all the related expen$es . . . This, too, shall pa$$. .... ~sighs~ .....

Ronna - I am so sorry to read about your sister's cancer. (((Hugs))) for you and her.

Jane in NC - awesome new car! And you'll save all that ga$oline money and have it for fabric. Woo HOOOooooo!!! I think my next car may be a Prius. Wish I had one right now.

Hugs to everyone,
Doris W. in TN

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home