Wednesday, July 2, 2008

summer


I'm back from the DC area, where I watched my nephew graduate from high school. Since my parents were with us, we didn't do much tourist stuff, but we did visit Jinney Beyer's quilt shop. She only carries her own line of fabric. Isn't the color wonderful!
The weather here is alternating between nearly as hot as last year, and wonderful. We are still, however, in the midst of a drought. Thank God it's not as bad as last year.
Tomorrow I'll be driving to Montgomery to see my parents again before school starts August 1st. The week after that, I'm taking some of my students to Quiz Bowl camp. Then I have a final week of rest, and a week of helping with "Music Camp" at church. My summer break is almost over, and it went so fast!
I just found out I'm teaching 3 different subjects, Algebra II, Trigonometry, and Psychology. I haven't taught psychology in 15 years, but my bachelor's degree was in Psychology. That makes me "highly qualified," and apparently, no one else is. I certainly am going to have to review.
Saturday I went to see a local performance of Godspell. The director and all the actors were either just graduated or still in high school. They did a great job. Unfortunately, one of the actors fell off the back of the stage and hit his head. The last I heard, he was in the hospital with a concussion, and missed their last performance, but he will be OK. They had cast some extra people, and I don't think he had many lines, but it's horrible for him and for them. It definitely removed some of the joy of the show for me, and I didn't even know him.
My garden is looking bad. We've been asked to hold watering to a minimum, but we're not into enforced conservation yet. I put a bucket in the shower and when I run water to warm it up, it goes into the bucket. That goes onto the garden, but it's only one bucket. I refuse to weed when it is dry, so between the drought and the weeds, it's having a hard time. The only thing that really seems to be doing well is the poison ivy. I got out and poisoned it yesterday, and hopefully that will be the end of it.
I haven't done much quilting so far this summer. I guess I better get busy, because I surely don't have time during the school year!
Laura in Alabama

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home