Friday, June 20, 2008

"THOSE COUPLES"

Quite a few years ago, before my apnea was diagnosed I began to be pestered in the night when Al was beginning to wake me to ask me to role over or whatever would stop me snoring. He finally gave up and moved into the guest room. Eventually I was diagnosed and began using a CPAP. If anyone doesn't know, that is a contraption which magnifies the pressure with which ambient air is pushed into your nose in a controlled manner and pressure to make sure the periodic stoppage in breathing and loss of oxygen in the brain which is what happens with apnea, doesn't occur. Thereafter both of us got a good night's sleep. After a few weeks DD arrived with three kids and a spouse and Al rejoined me in our king sized bed. He announced in the morning that I'd "passed the snore test." As soon as the kids left at the end of the annual spring break visit he moved back in. The last item was a TV he'd acquired during the separation. I asked why he was bringing that in, as if I didn't know. After all, it was Stanley Cup playoff time and as a transplanted Michigander he'd never given up on his beloved Red Wings. There was a game that night. I announced that I was planning to listen to the Minnesota Chamber Orchestra at the same time. We were at a stand off. In the past, when he watched the last quarter of Monday night football in bed, guess who had to get up, walk across the room and turn off the tube while he slept like the dead. (This was before we had remote controls.) Cut to the chase, Al took his TV set back to the guest room. After all Sara, the kids are gone and you have all the privacy you need for midnight trysts.

Is Carl's snoring recent or has it been around for a while? Has he considered apnea? That is not only a pain for the partner but a serious risk to the heart. The constant interruption of both your sleep and his, because of the snoring, can be very serious to both of you. Going around sleep deprived is dangerous behind the wheel as well.

I finally got to do some work on a charity quilt tody. I am still having some serious troule organizing my mental functioning which deteriorated after the accident. I'm told this is not unusual after such an experience. Hand surgeon keeps urging me to keep up the quilting as it is both a physical and mental challenge. He also believes that creative endeavors contribute to recovery. I have a tough time doing things in the right order and arrangng something as simple as a bunch of 6" blocks to each other in some reasonable pattern without getting things out of order and having to repeat the same thing three times before getting the result I seek. AAARGH. While making a 12" block as a small wall hanging for that wonderful man who is responsible for having saved the use of my left hand I spen't two and a half days chewing up about $40 of costly hand dyes before getting things cut and put together. However, I must say, though, that out of the numerous points in the Martha Washington star, I only lost one and that one by only a smideon.

Herewith, the as yet to be quilted star.

Sleep tight, ladies,

Jane in NC where the windows were opened all day with the perfect weather.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home