Saturday, June 21, 2008

Sleeping patterns

I used to think that a compatible marriage was one in which both partners shared the same time schedule. I'm a day person and I couldn't be married to a night person. I'm up with the sun and down with the sun; brighter in the morning, winding down by suppertime.

Jane, my BIL and his son are both on CPAP machines but I can relate to the television set in the bedroom, which I never wanted there in the first place. 'Himself' insisited and then, as did Al, promptly fell asleep. When I turned the evening news down in volume; he awoke. I sat watching the news which is never pleasant and happy it seems; it wouldn't be news otherwise. He slept through it all. Because he traveled so much with his career and worked the nighttime flights often, his circadian rhythm is all turned about and still after 11 yrs. of retirement, he can't get turned around. He's up from about 1 pm on to 5 pm and so now, he sleeps on the familyroom couch, his choice, with the television on and his computer nearby. I sleep with the dogs in the bedroom. I used to get cranky not getting my sleep, too, but after 18 yrs. I finally have come to appreciate the fact that the dogs don't snore, they don't pass wind and they don't sit on the side of the bed burping. We're both happier this way. At my age it's a relief to get a good night's sleep and 'himself' can catnap all day long if he wants. I'm wondering, Jane, if, given the CPAP machine if sleeping separately in your own room at Grace's retreat might not be preferable for you. And I'm happy to see that you are persisting with your quilting. It is true, creativity helps heal.

Wonderful day here in Southern Ontario as well; windows open, sun is out, soft billowy clouds in the sky; I want to stop the clock and stay in this for the next ten months.

Rosey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home